PDA

View Full Version : Is this WRA rear sight cover legit?

donb
10-17-2014, 11:29
I have no other to compare it to.

Latigo 1
10-20-2014, 11:57
Can not tell for sure by a picture, but from what I can see it looks fine.

donb
10-20-2014, 01:28
Thanks!

stan4
10-21-2014, 11:27
I have no other to compare it to.

The mark does not look right to me. The original "punch mark" was made by a Rockwell type hardness tester, most likely with a diamond tipped head. They left a mark about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of the mark pictured. It is a sharp indentation, without a rounded bottom (in the hole). The cover looks like it might be a Winchester cover---with a enhancement.

Best Regards,

donb
10-22-2014, 09:37
OK! I got another one to compare it too. Well what do you think? Is the seller humping fake sight covers? Cripes! Let me add that I hope there were more than one type and they are both OK!

stan4
10-27-2014, 10:23
OK! I got another one to compare it too. Well what do you think? Is the seller humping fake sight covers? Cripes! Let me add that I hope there were more than one type and they are both OK!

donb,

The 2nd one looks better.

Attached are two that I think are original Winchester. I did not buy them as Winchester dust covers---just picked them up at regular dust cover prices. (The hardness test marks are dirty with grease.)

Your 1st cover with the heavy punch mark---does it have another sharp indentation about 3/8" above the heavy mark? It looks like a Winchester cover, and that mark above could be the hardness test mark. (That is about the size of what the marks look like.)

Best Regards,

donb
10-28-2014, 08:07
Hi Stan,

The seller advised that he has both the heavier punch marked covers and the type with the smaller punch, and that both are WRA. We agreed to swap the one I posted for the smaller punched type and I have already sent it back. so I can't check for the indentation. Thank you for your response.

Regards

Don