PDA

View Full Version : Useable block?

butlersrangers
10-16-2014, 09:26
I am in the process of restoring to 'shooting status' a Model 1873 Springfield, #254588, (parts gun) I recently acquired. The bore cleaned up VG with only a small area of minor pitting and the 1884 'cartouche' stock is solid.
The firing pin was 'frozen' in the breech-block with the tip projecting from the block face. After several days of soaking in solvent, I was able today to carefully drive the firing-pin out of the block. It took a lot of force to dislodge the broken firing-pin, because of corrosion and burrs. It appears to have been broken a long time and pounded and 'mushroomed' by dry-firing.
I am attaching some pictures and wonder if the block appears useable. Possibly there is too much damage to the firing-pin hole in the bolt face. I would appreciate the feed-back of experience. The block does lock-up nice and tight.

Dick Hosmer
10-16-2014, 11:23
Since you will be replacing the pin, get a bronze one. It's hard to tell from the photo, but I would lightly stone across the face of the block to remove any extruded burrs (if there are any). I also might take a needle file to the hole, certainly NOT to enlarge it, but to remove any burrs that might snag the new pin. I'd also try a couple of hotter than normal loads with a tire and string before spending a lot of time working on it cosmetically. If you don't like the fired primer appearance, replace the block.

butlersrangers
10-17-2014, 12:11
Thank you for the suggestions. I cleaned up the damage a bit. I guess I will have to see how a replacement firing-pin fits before I will know how to proceed.

joem
10-17-2014, 12:55
Perhaps you could have one made with a larger tip to fit the hole.

butlersrangers
10-17-2014, 01:25
I decided to get 'semi-scientific' and measure. The questionable block has a firing-pin hole that measures .128 inches at the bolt-face. I have a 'known to be good' Model 1873, #306817, that has minimal wear on its breech-block. The firing-pin hole measures .122 inches. I suspect with low pressure loads, I will be 'OK'. I will watch the primer deformation as Dick Hosmer suggests, to see if the .006" slop is a problem. A larger diameter tip on the firing-pin or 'bushing' the block would work, but, are probably more expensive than replacing the breech-block.

Dick Hosmer
10-17-2014, 01:27
Probably easier/cheaper to bush the hole.

Probably the really best thing might be to get another block.

While the TD actually handles gas better than might be expected, always wear shooting glases!

butlersrangers
10-17-2014, 01:33
Aw Shucks! I guess I'll have to go to some Guns Shows and search for donor parts. Darn. (Big Smile)