PDA

View Full Version : M1922 Stock Identification

Remington03
10-14-2014, 05:40
I have a pair of 1922 Springfield stocks I am trying to identify. Here are some pictures of one. I'm not sure if it is a M1 or an M2.

The 1922M1 Issue type, sometimes called the B stock, has grasping grooves, a thin coarsely checkered butt plate that can be either the 1903NM Coarsely Checkered butt plate or without the trapdoor. The most obvious recognition feature is the pistol grip is cut at an odd angle, has a somewhat flat sided pistol grip and has considerably more drop at the butt.
The M2 stock (talking about an M2 rifle, not M2 Carbine) has the thin coarsely checkered butt plate without trap door, less drop at the butt and will most often be seen, but not always, with an M2 stamped in the bottom of the pistol grip.

Now if your are not already confused, I will mention the modified 1922M1 Issue type stock that has been modified to look more like the M2 stock. The most obvious recognition feature is the forward end of the comb will not be as sharp as on the M2 stock.

Thanks Herschel. The stocks I have are the issue type, though I'm still not sure exactly which one. The one I'm looking at now has a 1 stamped in the bottom of the pistol grip. It also has a boxed SA cartouche with an O underneath it.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28837
http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28836
http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28838

Kragrifle
10-15-2014, 05:24
There are two styles of 1922M1 issue stocks. Early stocks will have a hole cut for an oiler and were originally fitted with a 1903 match buttplate. Most of these will also have a lightening cut, though I have seen two that lacked this extra hole. Around serial number 6000 this oiler cut was eliminated and these rifles were fitted with the same buttplate found on the M2 rifles (heavy checkering, no trap). When these rifles were rebuilt the stocks were sometimes altered by shaving off the pronounced pistol grip making them more resemble the M2 stocks. However, a dead give away is the very short comb area on the early issue stocks as compared to the higher comb of an M2 which is almost twice as high. Different stampings are found on the pistol grip area, though no one knows what they mean. Years ago Fred Ewalt (deceased) compiled a list of these, though this information was only interesting to the severely afflicted 22 crowd (:)). As for the inspector stamps on the various models of 22 cal Springfields, with rare exception these all denote a rebuild.

Remington03
10-15-2014, 06:12
There are two styles of 1922M1 issue stocks. Early stocks will have a hole cut for an oiler and were originally fitted with a 1903 match buttplate. Most of these will also have a lightening cut, though I have seen two that lacked this extra hole. Around serial number 6000 this oiler cut was eliminated and these rifles were fitted with the same buttplate found on the M2 rifles (heavy checkering, no trap). When these rifles were rebuilt the stocks were sometimes altered by shaving off the pronounced pistol grip making them more resemble the M2 stocks. However, a dead give away is the very short comb area on the early issue stocks as compared to the higher comb of an M2 which is almost twice as high. Different stampings are found on the pistol grip area, though no one knows what they mean. Years ago Fred Ewalt (deceased) compiled a list of these, though this information was only interesting to the severely afflicted 22 crowd (:)). As for the inspector stamps on the various models of 22 cal Springfields, with rare exception these all denote a rebuild.

Thanks. So what I have is an M1 stock. Mine does not have the hole cut for the oiler. I kind of figured that was what I had from what Herschel told me. The pistol grip feels somewhat flat sided to me, and the comb looked a lot lower than what I saw on other rifles online, like this one.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/mgb8345/springfieldM1922M11rightsidefull.jpg

I imagine deciphering the various markings would be quite an undertaking. It sure would be curious to know what they all meant. I knew the boxed SA indicated an overhaul at Springfield Armory but no clue on the others.

Remington03
11-17-2014, 05:44
I dug out my other stock and lined them up. What do you know, the other one is an M2! So I have one of each military style. :-)