PDA

View Full Version : Another Enfield mystery, have lots.

Nate
10-13-2014, 12:41
When I got my 1939 BSA #1Mk3, the trigger was the usual double pressure. When I reassembled it after replacing the missing cutoff, it has a single pressure. How does this happen?

JB White
10-13-2014, 01:04
Something isn't bedded right. You didn't lose the king screw bushing when you opened it up...did you?

Nate
10-14-2014, 05:42
In the past I solved this very problem on a #4 with the bushing and this rifle didn't have one to start. I tried to install one but the hole in the stock is off center to the point that the screw will not bite with it in place. Yet the trigger was OK when I got it. BTW, this BSA is all matching except the bolt but the bolt is a BSA one from the period. Also, there is a large L stamped on most metal parts including the butt trap door and I can't find any code for this. My friend who saw a cutoff for the first time now has to have a #3 with one.

JB White
10-15-2014, 08:18
In the past I solved this very problem on a #4 with the bushing and this rifle didn't have one to start. I tried to install one but the hole in the stock is off center to the point that the screw will not bite with it in place. Yet the trigger was OK when I got it. BTW, this BSA is all matching except the bolt but the bolt is a BSA one from the period. Also, there is a large L stamped on most metal parts including the butt trap door and I can't find any code for this. My friend who saw a cutoff for the first time now has to have a #3 with one.

Then it's a torque issue. Can't crank down tight on the screw without a bushing in there without crushing wood and changing the angle of trigger engagement. Try loosening the screw a bit and see if the 2-stage starts to return. If so, don't shoot it until it is fixed, meaning a little shimming and fitting of a new bushing. They MUST be fitted as they were filed per rifle. Shooting with a loose screw will damage the forend.

#3? I'm assuming you mean a No1 MkIII. The No3 is the Pattern 14 rifle.

John Sukey
10-15-2014, 11:35
Just a possibility, since you had the forend off. The trigger is rubbing against one side of the slot in the forend and is not going all the way forward

Nate
10-15-2014, 01:49
Ok, I will see what I can do. The PO was fireing it with handloads, not knowing its condition. This poor rifle was missing everything in the forend but the barrel band screw and the sight protector screw. Thanks.

Nate
10-17-2014, 10:09
Half the posts I have made here disappear. I post because I need the help and have no idea where they go because they are there when I leave. I click "post quick reply", the post shows up and I move on. If I am doing something wrong I would like to know what the heck it is.