PDA

View Full Version : peculiar inletting on an 1873

butlersrangers
10-12-2014, 05:30
This 1873 Springfield rifle, serial #337373, is currently for sale on GunBroker. It has a very peculiar machined slot on the right side of the stock, running from the rear barrel-band to the front of the lock plate. Does anyone know the purpose of this modification? (It appears well done).

butlersrangers
10-12-2014, 06:51
I guess I found my own answer. The stock appears inletted for the Metcalfe cartridge-block device. (I believe the action, #337373, is not in correct range for this adaptation)? Rifle is item #446616976 on GB, if anyone is interested.

Dick Hosmer
10-12-2014, 09:27
Yes, that is a Metcalfe stock. One problem, aside from the fact that the rifle is a refinished POS, is the stock will probably have been damaged by the forcing in of a post-1878 wide receiver. At best it will have had the inletting crudely widened.

Here is a rifle in the correct range (60-64xxx) with device and original block fitted.

CPC
10-13-2014, 07:48
Dick,
Thank you for posting the picture of the Metcalf device. Any chance you would post pics of your Mackinac rifle here. Every time I look at the island I think of finding one like it.
Regards,
CC

butlersrangers
10-13-2014, 08:27
Thank you Dick for 'vetting' this 1873 Springfield. I had not seen one before with the Metcalfe stock and found it interesting. I would not want to lead anyone into a bad collection piece.

Dick Hosmer
10-13-2014, 08:58
Dick,
Thank you for posting the picture of the Metcalf device. Any chance you would post pics of your Mackinac rifle here. Every time I look at the island I think of finding one like it.
Regards,
CC

Here you go!

butlersrangers
10-13-2014, 02:43
Beautiful rifles! Dick, thank you for posting your pictures. Was there more to the Metcalfe device than holding a wooden block that held cartridges?

Dick Hosmer
10-13-2014, 03:10
No, that was the whole idea. There was a carrier for the belt (one was supposed to lap the blocks like shingles) of which I do not have an example.

There were several versions (including .50-70, and ten rounders) of the device - this being the "production" (1,000 rifles, 31,000 ammo blocks) one.

The records show that 100 M1870 rifles were made, but I have seen so much as a photo of one. The 10-round (.45) ones were hooked on with wire loops, which cannot have worked well.

The whole concept was based on 18th century tactics - firing by volley in marching formation, fighting from fort parapets, etc. The worst point is that the fragile block comes right at the balance/carry point for more mobile soldiers.

CPC
10-14-2014, 09:27
Here you go!

Thank you! some day..... I need to find one of those and a Metcalfe device...

Dick Hosmer
10-14-2014, 09:54
You are entirely welcome. Thank you for the pictures!

Pardon me - I know I've asked someone this before - but does the fort's museum, available records, photo files, etc. have any mention of a Captain William Cheney Manning? That's what I'm looking for.

He was there in 1886/1887 at least. He is a very distant cousin, and, by a long chain of circumstances, I discovered that the rifle I own was issued to him. Odd for an officer, he must have liked to shoot.

UPDATE: Just - on a hunch, and while I was thinking about it - searched Bing images - something I have done many times before, but not for a few months - and look what turned up! Major William Cheney Manning 103rd USCT, Savannah GA, ca. 1865. He, like many other officers, was forced to take a reduction in rank (which he later regained, but was a CPT while at Ft. Mackinac) at the end of the CW, if they wished to stay in the service.

CPC
10-15-2014, 08:07
Dick,
I have already botched/hijacked this thread which was not my intent. I apologize to the OP. Dick please email me and I can send you some photos of Ft Brady (which he was assigned during his distinguished career) as well as provide some additional information regarding Fort Mackinac.

butlersrangers
10-15-2014, 10:07
CPC: As OP, I don't mind at all and would enjoy seeing more about Major Manning and Ft. Brady on this thread. My questions about the Metcalfe stock were answered. Besides, I'm a 'Troll'. I live below the Bridge!

butlersrangers
10-15-2014, 12:55
Here is the area over which Major W. C. Manning probably fired his '1884 RRB Trial Springfield'. The site is known as 'Rifle Range Trail'. The photo is taken facing South from Ft. Holmes (probable backstop) toward Ft. Mackinac (probable Firing Line).
Reported traditions are that the garrison would have rifle practice once a week at 600 or 1,000 yards. Soldiers are reputed to have dug lead out of the backstop. (Makes sense on an island).
From the 1870s to 1895, Mackinac Island was our 2nd National Park. The troops on the island were used to develop improvements and safeguard the site (as in Yellowstone NP). Mackinac Island became a State Park in 1895.

CPC
10-15-2014, 02:48
Thanks. Nice picture. I am sure he probably fired the rifle there. Up until a few years ago, if you knew the right kids you could buy bullets found in the area. I have a book that has some shooters at the range but I'll have to find it. As far as being a troll, I can see the bridge and "below it" where you trolls hang out from my house.

Dick, I am sure the Park has lots of information on Manning as he is mentioned in almost every book I have about the fort. I sent you a couple links from local information you may find humorous.