PDA

View Full Version : M1 Demolition Work In The Korean War

Rock
10-11-2014, 11:31
The military overlooked this this capability when they went to the smaller calibers.....

As we were taking the hill, I was in the very front and the grenades were coming down like crazy when I saw two black puffs--one high and one low. They were probably not more than 15 feet away from us. We kept moving up and moving up and pretty soon when we were within 20 to 25 feet of the hole, we saw an arm come out of the hole and we realized that there was a guy inside throwing grenades at us. By now we were so close that when he threw them, they went right over our heads and went off in back of us. We were inside grenade range. We weren't even bothered by them because we were too close to them and the Chinaman in the foxhole didn’t know it.

There were Marines on the right and Marines on the left. Suddenly we saw somebody get up on the right and walk up over the hill. At first we thought it was one of our guys on the other side, and apparently they thought he were one of us on this side, so the Chinaman walked right up over the hill and nobody shot at him. It was a little brushy and we didn’t want to shoot one of our own people, so all of us just let him go by.

The guy in the foxhole had flat-type shale rock stacked up around the rim of the hole. There were eight rounds in my M-1 so I started shooting the rocks on the left, the center, and the right, and then I came back. I was blowing those rocks off, taking his hiding place away from him. By the time I shot those eight rounds, I had most of the rocks blown off. I threw another clip in my weapon, raised up to start shooting rocks again, and then he stood up and stepped right out of the hole. I shot him twice in the left rib cage--probably right through his heart. He stiffened up like a board and he was down. Gone. He wouldn't do any more grenade throwing.

http://www.koreanwar-educator.org/memoirs/alexander_grant/index.htm

Major Tom
10-12-2014, 04:40
Same-same in 'Nam. M14 7.62 would penetrate trees, etc. where as the 5.56 round would not.

joem
10-12-2014, 03:51
M60 really did a job on trees and those trying to hide behind it.