PDA

View Full Version : Brass prep centers

Liam
10-09-2014, 04:02
Finally thinking about getting a brass prep center from one of the major companies - Hornady, Lyman or RCBS. Will be getting the 110v version. The Lyman looks to make the most sense to me - various vertical heads vs. horizontal (Hornady), easy to clean as you go, appears heavy enough not to move around in use, comes with heads in package (outside/inside camfer, pocket cleaner, etc.). Anyone have experience with any of these 3 units? If so, likes or dislikes? Going make my shooting buddy, for whom I reload .223, pay for half since he's the one who keeps bringing me the mixed bags of range pick-up brass. Opinions always valued. - Liam

Litt'le Lee
10-09-2014, 12:42
the only problem with those tools is that I don't think they length size--which is most important

Sunray
10-11-2014, 12:17
Length sizing is called trimming. Buying a kit means you get all the bits and pieces at once. Save some money.
Tell you buddy no more range brass. You have no idea what has been done to it or any thing else about it. How many are Berdan primed?

Litt'le Lee
10-12-2014, 11:23
length sizing is length sizing--if it needs trimming you trim it--otherwise you waste time trying to trim one that doesn't need trimming

BigMo
10-12-2014, 03:16
I have the RCBS. Works well and does what it should. No it doesn't move around at all.

No issues- I have bought several extra primer pocket brushes and when I get going fast, an individual wire strand might get bent and so eventually I will switch it out.

For cleaning when done- I just tip it upside down over the waste basket and tap it- done and done.

gpw_42
10-12-2014, 05:42
+1 on the RCBS...and everything BigMo said about it. Sure makes this chore more tolerable, at least in my opinion.

I've learned to chamfer/debur AFTER cleaning the primer pocket. The case mouths are SHARP after chamfer/debur is complete.

Steve