PDA

View Full Version : Helping a friend

Griff Murphey
10-08-2014, 07:54
I have a friend with three unfired sealed DCM source (90's) M-1s. If left sealed, what should he ask for these? I think $1500 each.

He has a D model that he opened the VPI bag on, a 90's DCM lottery one, it is a Winchester. Bearing in mind the Greek return cornucopia has undermine the value, for the full set of accoutrements, what is a starting bid? I think $3500.

Is the mystique of buying a sealed one more pricey than hauling them out and taking detailed photos, etc.? What say y'all.

I have no interest in this issue other than to help a fellow vet, in his 70's, who is ready to thin his herd.

Roadkingtrax
10-08-2014, 08:28
Because the rifles are sealed, I'm guessing you know the Serial Number...but nothing else. I'd say your price is in the ballpark.

The M1D? Sealed...or close to it, with docs, box and accessories? They are catching 3500-5000 on Gunbroker. Possibly more if its a Winchester? Great pictures will sell that rifle for top dollar.

The mystery certainly drives intrigue.

Cass
10-09-2014, 05:22
Griff:

Sealed rifles are always an interesting problem. They have appeal from a curiosity standpoint but few people want to keep them sealed, so they end up with a dilemma. You don't really want to be the first one to break the seal after all that time. There is also a risk on the condition inside.

I have an H&R MC-58 that is still in the sealed bag. The outer box has been opened, but the bag and the accessory packages are sealed. I will leave it sealed, but it will be a dilemma for someone later.

Since the M1's are from the 90's they would probably be before they started grading rifles in about September 1998. If after that time, they would have been a specific grade. Most I have seen from before the grading were solid service grades, but some collector grades came through. I've never seen any real dogs from that timeframe other than mixed birch and walnut wood.

The M1D is probably nice. They ranged from what appeared to be original SA builds through late Toole rebuilds. I have seen some that had been issued, but many appeared unissued after rebuild.

With them sealed I guess the buyers will have to decide "..do you feel lucky?".

Cass

Griff Murphey
10-09-2014, 04:13
For the advanced collector, the sealed rifle may be a prize collectible in its own right.

For the individual looking for a rifle to shoot and enjoy, not so much.

10-09-2014, 06:39
For the advanced collector, the sealed rifle may be a prize collectible in its own right.

For the individual looking for a rifle to shoot and enjoy, not so much.

I don't agree with the "advanced collector" considering a M1 Garand sealed in a bag a "prize collectable". I would think most advanced collectors are into the various WW2 rifles and would not have a whole lot of interest in a rifle they will never see. Just my opinion.
If you want to see how "advanced collectors" would feel about it post this question on http://garanditis.com/

Griff Murphey
10-09-2014, 07:48
All of my Garands have worked for a living in my hands and I have bought very few wall hanger guns. At this time of my life I have my dream guns and other goals such as travel that I will likely never meet. So to reply in the spirit of your comment, I readily admit that I am NOT an Advanced collector, just an old has been high power shooter, and I am sure you are right I don't know jack.

I've been invited to charity events and seen garages full of Ferraris and Maseratis with do not touch signs. I have been in a converted shopping center full of ONE MAN's collectible cars. Interesting to look at at but too much to enjoy IMHO. Who knows what motivates some of these guys?

10-10-2014, 02:40
I hear you Griff. I too am not an "advanced collector". At this stage of my life I could not afford to be one if I wanted to. At least with the collectable cars you get to see them. Like you say, who knows what motivates people. I am sure there are people out there that would love to have a M1D still in the wrap, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why. I do have a few rifles that I don't shoot often but I just can't imagine keeping one in a sealed bag. I am sorry if you took my comment in a way I did not intend. As far as being "just an old has been", looking at your avatar, I see your humping with an M14. As I carried the M1 Garand, I must be an older has been than you. Joe

Griff Murphey
10-10-2014, 07:02
Well I may have been a bit thin skinned. I would not leave the Winnie D bagged, either. My friend opened it enough to see it is a Winchester.

I do think a bagged service rifle might have a place in a collection. Each one that is unpacked leaves one fewer, the definition of a collectible. Anyway they are all pedigreed DCM rifles.

My avatar photo was taken in 1970 at Fort Sill just after going through the Vietnam Village. ROTC advanced camp, 8 man tents, wash stands that your M-1 helmet fit it as your sink. I'm 65, def. changes your perspective.

joem
10-11-2014, 05:58
I know about wash stands that your M-1 helmet fit it as your sink. Took a few baths from my helmet to. AH, those were the days.

Sunray
10-11-2014, 12:10
"...I don't agree with the..." Ditto. Unless the advanced part is senility. No collector is going to pay a premium for a CMP sealed rifle. Even the current batch of 'C's without scopes or mounts are less than $3500. $1500 for a 'D'. So a standard rifle ain't worth that kind of money just because it's in a CMO shipping bag. Geezuz. And I could have had a C or D for $250 Cdn.

Griff Murphey
10-11-2014, 01:35
Slight correction, not CMP, DCM from before the new entity.

$1500 is not far off what a lot of retailers are asking. In fact it is the pretty much going rate for unpapered guns in a lot of venues.

Personally I think he ought to ask a hefty price up front, he can always drop it later.

Remember the current Greek return Ds are battle guns that have seen serious troop use. Also they do not come with all of the accoutrements (Flash Hider, Cleaning Kit, Scope Mount, M-84, Cheekpiece and screws) that the 90's Lottery Ds came with. Plus it is a Winchester.