PDA

View Full Version : Case Vertigris a reloading stopper?

SgtSki
10-08-2014, 12:38
I soaked some 30-06 HXP brass in a cleaning solution of one cup of water, 1/4 cup of vinegar, table spoon of ajax dish soap and table spoon of ammonia water. The cases came out clean but coated with a bluish/green vertigris on the inside of the cartridge case. Are they still reloadable? Thanks in advance.

joem
10-08-2014, 03:22
Cases are now suspect with the use of ammonia. Bad JU JU for ammonia on brass cases. JMHO.

Fred Pillot
10-08-2014, 04:39
Isn't ajax some sort of bleach? An doesn't mixing ammonia and bleach create some kind of poisonous gas?

Jim in Salt Lake
10-09-2014, 07:58
Badness comes when you mix chlorine and ammonia cleaners, chemical reaction releases chlorine gas which is poisonous. I had a bunch of that HXP ammo from the CMP and a lot of the brass was corroded, I sent any piece with corrosion or staining to the recycler. There were a very few rounds that I didn't shoot because of the level of corrosion. If it were me, I'd discard that brass.

joem
10-10-2014, 07:58
If the brass is very nasty looking try a mixture of water, vineger and salt. Rinse real good, dry and tumble.

bd1
10-19-2014, 11:14
Vinegar is a good solvent/cleaner on brass. Chlorine (bleach) and ammonia not. Joy dish detergent for washing dirty brass to a copper look.

dogtag
10-20-2014, 01:00
Ammonia is really bad for bores. Cases are easily replaced, bores are not.
I often get cases slightly green inside - a brush gets rid of it.

Sunray
10-21-2014, 11:00
Vertigris is the copper coming out of the alloy. Using the ammonia water(whatever that is) caused it. Rinse 'em well in hot water and they should be ok. Ammonia eats brass, but it doesn't work that fast.
You can leave the dish soap out too. Isn't needed and it leaves a thin film behind.