PDA

View Full Version : WRA 53 M-2 ball...

bruce
10-06-2014, 05:46
This afternoon one of my church member's fired some in his M-1 w/o thinking about the corrosive primer issue. IIRC, the changer over began in 1952. Does anyone know if WRA 53 M-2 ball would have been non-corrosive? I need to get him an answer. Sincerely. bruce.

kcw
10-06-2014, 06:12
The info I have says that WRA M-2 ball ammo beginning with lot # 2301 in August 1951, and after, was non-corrosive.

bruce
10-06-2014, 06:21
Thank you very much! When he bought the rifle he showed me some LC 54 AP that he had gotten with the rifle. I found out that the ammo was non-corrosive and assumed he would be shooting it in the rifle. Today when I was out at his home he proceeded to load the rifle up with the WRA 52 M-2 ball. I was concerned about the possibility that it might be corrosive. He got agitated as he thought his rifle would be damaged. I told him it wouldn't necessarily damage his rifle and that the ammo was likely non-corrosive but that to be on the safe side he should clean the bore, op-rod, bolt face, etc., with patches moistened with Windex, a practice that has given me good results when I have used corrosive ammo. I will call him in a few minutes to let him know of what you have reported. Again, thank you very much.

Tuna
10-06-2014, 07:08
It's not the windex that cleans. It's the water in the windex that helps remove the salts from the primers. You can do the same thing with a bottle of water.

bruce
10-06-2014, 07:59
It's not the windex that cleans. It's the water in the windex that helps remove the salts from the primers. You can do the same thing with a bottle of water.

Thank you! Have cleaned after firing corrosive ammo using boiling water and dishwashing liquid. However, was not aware that the water in the Windex was what neutralized the residue of corrosive priming. Should have known.

bruce
10-07-2014, 07:17
Just an update. A few minutes ago I followed up with my church member. He said the bore looks brand new in every respect. There is no corrosion much less rust. All is well. Thanks again for the replies. I was concerned that due to my own failure to think, my church member would have a damaged rifle barrel. Very thankful that his beautiful M-1 is still beautiful!

Southron
02-09-2015, 11:47
Everyone needs to get into the habit of cleaning their Rifle EVERY TIME THEY SHOOT IT, at least that is my practrice.

Johnny P
02-09-2015, 07:02
Before Ordnance figured out what was rusting the barrels of their 1903 rifles, they noticed that if the humidity was below 50% the barrels didn't rust. There simply wasn't enough moisture in the air to be drawn to the potassium chloride in the bore, even after a few days. Plain old water proved to be the best for dissolving a washing the salts out of the barrel. As Tuna noted, the ammonia is only diluting the water which cleans out the salts.