PDA

View Full Version : Electro-pencil marks - how to restore?

PRC148
10-04-2014, 05:51
I just came across a 90%+ correct trapdoor with electro-pencil marks on parts that are replaceable. Should I find somebody to do some minor rust-blue restoration to keep the original parts, leave them the way they are or search for NOS parts in excellent condition? Who would do excellent rust blue work? The rifle is beautiful as it sits, no SRS hits to know of, just a nice piece.

Dick Hosmer
10-04-2014, 06:29
I'd like to know which parts are involved before answering, please.

PRC148
10-04-2014, 09:05
Buttplate (light markings) and lock plate rear of hammer (somewhat deep). Lock plate can be removed and is in very fine condition as is the buttplate.

Dick Hosmer
10-04-2014, 11:18
Buttplate is no big deal, as a variety of CW plates were refinished and re-used. You can probably find one with enough finish to match the gun - that part is normally worn some even on mint specimens. The lockplate was not blued, but rather oil-casehardened, so rebluing would be wrong, Again, I'd look for a nice original - but you do have to be careful to get the correct lettering style, etc. for your serial number range.

PRC148
10-05-2014, 06:57
Thanks for the advice. I can't believe I over looked the fact about oil-case hardening on the parts vice bluing - rookie mistake. The lock plate is a Second Type (1" Springfield and .1" letters - small shield .09"x.165"). The butt plate is a small "US" Second Type being scooped-out.

joem
10-07-2014, 08:23
Maybe Turnbull could do a restoration. I've seen pics of some of his work.

Dick Hosmer
10-08-2014, 08:55
He does great work, but in this case I doubt the expense would be justified. I'd go the "search for nice parts route" rather than refinish anything - but, that's just me.