PDA

View Full Version : Yellow paint on a 1942 Lithgow SMLE?

Nate
10-02-2014, 11:29
My friend got this rifle yesterday and it is an all matching beauty. There are remnants of yellow paint on the muzzle that could mean something or not. There are no DP marks anywhere on the rifle so should this just be ignored?

ebeeby
10-02-2014, 11:53
I recall a guy not long ago ignored some paint and found out the hard way the receiver had been drilled through but it was hidden by the stock. Wouldn't hurt to pull the receiver and give it a once over...

John Sukey
10-03-2014, 11:32
The yellow paint IS THE DP MARK!
I agree with ebeeby that the rifle needs a strip down to make sure there is nothing hidden.
Saying that, some serviceable rifles were relegated to DP status when there was nothing wrong with them

kcw
10-03-2014, 12:59
The yellow paint IS THE DP MARK!
I agree with ebeeby that the rifle needs a strip down to make sure there is nothing hidden.
Saying that, some serviceable rifles were relegated to DP status when there was nothing wrong with them

And even if you can't detect anything wrong, it might be a good idea to lash it to a tire and fire it the 1st time remotely with a 100' piece of rope, unless of course your friend is absolutely certain that whomever he bought it off of has been shooting it.

JB White
10-03-2014, 11:04
Lithgow rifles were color coded in regard to cadet/drill status.

Green = safe to fire
Yellow = safe for occasional use
Red = DO NOT FIRE BALL AMMUNITION

Think of a traffic light. Green -proceed, yellow- caution, red- don't go there! :)

That's how they were marked in service. It's been a long time since they were surplused off and have been in civilian hands for quite a while now. The typical safety check and inspection is a good idea on any used firearm.

Plenty of "Yellows" check out fine and are in use, but a safety check is a must prior to shooting.

Nate
10-04-2014, 09:40
My friend said that he fired this rifle in the company of the PO before he bought it. Neither person knew anything about SMLEs and didn't question the color. At least the paint was not completely stripped off or we would never have known. I'll pass on this info and will help to check things out. Thanks.