PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun book or websites?

M1Riflenut
10-01-2014, 11:34
I'm trying to learn more about military shotguns (I'm late into this game!) and just ordered Canfields latest book. Are there any others worth picking up as well? My search only shows Canfields early and late one and Leroy Thompsons book which I'm concerned about based on the carbine book accusations. Beside this forum, are their any others that have decent military shotgun forums I can start reading and learning?

I've already bought two entry level pieces. A few years ago I picked up a Savage 720, barrel is not US marked and has a cuts comp on it. Stock was sanded and a small compass inlayed into it but it was dirt cheap money so I grabbed it.

The next one I just got last weekend, a Rem mod 11. I think I overpaid for that one because I didn't know what I was buying. Paid $475 for it, appears to be original 1941(?) action with FJA marked stock and SAA rebuild mark. I learned so far, after buying it, that the entire front end is a sportsman type. Barrel is not US marked. I'm wondering if it got converted to this configuraton during the SAA rebuild or later. Is it worth trying to restore it back to it's original configuration?
I'll try and get pics up later but meanwhile I'm looking for book/web info. Thanks!
Dave

Tom Doniphon
10-01-2014, 06:39
Dave, Bruce Canfield's 2007 Combat Shotgun book is probably the best reference publication available. And this is a great forum for Military shotgun info.

colt thompson
10-02-2014, 05:49
Machine gun boards has a military shotgun forum as well but it doesn't get as much traffic as this one

M1Riflenut
10-02-2014, 06:47
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll keep browsing the forums and wait for my Canfield book to show up.

desentis
10-03-2014, 12:57
The milsurps board has a pretty active group also.

Bob K
10-04-2014, 03:29
Other than Bruce C., Tom D. appears to be the most knowledgeable around that I've seen, so you might as well stay here.

M1Riflenut
10-07-2014, 02:00
My Canfield book arrived, got some new reading material!

mtrpdw
10-07-2014, 06:21
You should have a look at the book that started it all on military shotguns:

"The World's Fighting Shotguns", by Thomas F. Swearengen (Chief Warrant Officer, U.S. Marine Corps, Ret.), 1978, Distributed by T.B.N. Enterprises, Alexandria, VA. Long out of print now, but can be found on amazon.com and eBay.com.

While it doesn't have the "Collector Notes" / details that B. Canfield's excellent book offers (in 1978, U.S. combat shotguns weren't of much interest to most USA military enthusiast), it covers over 400 shotgun and related weapons - starting at the turn of the century. Lots of photos.

Unfortunately, he passed on (early 1980's) before he could produced his revised and updated edition.

For me, a definite reference book if you are interested in "fighting" shotguns.

emmagee1917
10-08-2014, 10:18
You would need a mag tube , proper forend , recoil spring and end nut . Only you can say if it's worth doing . Many say no.
Chris

M1Riflenut
10-08-2014, 02:50
You would need a mag tube , proper forend , recoil spring and end nut . Only you can say if it's worth doing . Many say no.
Chris

Thanks Chris. I already have everything except the forend. I've been collecting A5's for a long time and I've had numerous model 11's over the years so the platform itself is not new to me. I've managed to aquire some spare parts for them over the years. When I was 15 I shot my first deer with a "pre model 11" that I later found out was made the first year, 1905. It had a 10K serial number. I ended up selling it and now wish I still had it. I just never got into the military versions and that is what I need to learn, along with other things like barrel types. For example, is the Sportsman barrel the same as the standard front end barrel? It looks the same. Is the only difference the mag tube assembly and forend?
Dave

emmagee1917
10-09-2014, 09:18
It looks like it . The listed parts are the ones the parts suppliers specify 3 shot or 5 shot . The barrels they don't . My only concern is why two different recoil springs if the reciever and barrel are the same .
Chris

jgaynor
10-10-2014, 08:29
If you don't already have it I would urge you to get a copy of TM 9-285 Shotguns, All Types Sept 21, 1942. The section on the Remington Model 11 is in fact illustrated with photographs of the Sportsman ™ version. Back in the 60's the dealer i worked for in Alexandria obtained a number of military marked shotguns including many Sportsman models.

I would not be in a hurry to "restore" or alter the current condition of your shotgun. You may be making a mistake and for sure it won't be cost effective in any case.

Regards,

Jim

Charlie Flick
10-15-2014, 03:31
Although Canfield is the best contemporary source you might also look at:

Archer, Eric (1988). "U.S. Military Shotguns of WW2". Gun Digest. I believe Eric also had some articles on USGI shotguns published in the old Gun Collector's Digest series.

Regards,
Charlie

Tom Doniphon
10-15-2014, 07:57
Right you are, Charlie. Eric did an article on Vietnam Military shotguns in Gun Collector's Digest, 5th Edition.