PDA

View Full Version : T-99 in CMP Match

psteinmayer
09-29-2014, 03:12
I shot my Toyo Kogyo Series 31 in a CMP Vintage Rifle Match yesterday. This was the first time I've used it in a match and I had a blast shooting it, although my results were not quite what I had hoped - 195-0X (I had 5 misses in the Off Hand phase)! For loads, I used Hornady 174 gr FMJ bullets over 39.0 grains of IMR-4064 and a CCI-200 primer. I used Norma cases and sealed the bullets and primers. For a sling, I used the Web sling off my Garand. The Type-99 can be a little temperamental in a match... During the Rapid phase, I lost precious seconds because of difficulty closing the bolt on a round, and wound up with a saved round (the match official allowed me an additional six seconds to get it off, so I did wind up with all ten on the paper). That straight-up bolt handle is different operating than my usual Vintage gun (my Krag). Still, I'll definitely do this again! I've included a couple pictures:

Shooting in the Slow Fire Prone phase.
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p511/Paul_Steinmayer/PaulLinden01_zpsd997160d.jpg

Shooting in the Off Hand (standing) phase. I put the anti-aircraft wings down just for laughs...
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p511/Paul_Steinmayer/PaulLinden04_zpsc3055a37.jpg

BruceHMX
09-29-2014, 07:14
That is friggin cool!! With dust cover and monopod. Did the dust cover hold you up at all?

psteinmayer
09-30-2014, 05:38
Nope... just one round where I was having trouble closing the bolt. I attribute that to the spring tension of cocking the thing while closing the bolt, coupled with the fact that the bolt is in a different position than I'm used to with my Krag. I've been shooting the Arisakas for a long time, but never in a competition where you are timed. That clock ticking away is in the back of your mind, and sure does tick loudly when you only have 80 seconds to get off ten rounds accurately, including a reload!

For what it's worth... I've been threatening to take this T-99 to Camp Perry to shoot an additional Vintage there for a couple years now. After this, I may just do that!!!

Shooter5
09-30-2014, 06:58
Neat! More power to you; it appears your course of fire included shooting down aircraft? Ha!

psteinmayer
09-30-2014, 08:21
LOL Yeah... I was ready for em'! I put the wings down just to see if anyone asked what the heck they were for... no one did.

pdawg1911
10-02-2014, 11:55
Very cool ! I would have thought you would have taken the dust cover off just like the Japanese did !

psteinmayer
10-03-2014, 05:14
Believe it or not, the dust cover posed no problems at all... and I never heard it rattle either, although I was concentrating on other things at the time!

Guamsst
10-08-2014, 10:54
Dust covers seem to either pose no problem or be hell to work with. I think most of the bad ones are mismatched or taken off trainers.....bent. rusted or whatever else can cause trouble.

2flasargent
10-31-2014, 02:36
Had you tried the monopod prone. Would it be 'legal' anyway?

psteinmayer
10-31-2014, 03:13
The Monopod is a nice addition for a conversation piece... but in actual use, they are pretty shaky. Being made from wire, the rifle can really sway from side to side in use. They are not legal to use in a CMP match either.

Guamsst
10-31-2014, 08:10
Most people are to careful with the monopod for it to be of any use. It was meant to be bent and is a soft but springy steel. I would not suggest repeated bending of a 75 year old war trophy but you would be amazed at a couple of the "ruined" monopods I have straightened out.

madsenshooter
11-14-2014, 06:38
Paul, I think the Japanese were taught to work the bolt differently than the way we were taught. I think you'll find it better to work the bolt with the palm of your hand and hooked fingers on the upstroke, and for more closing power, with the heel of your hand on the closing stroke. Cock on closing requires a good strong grip on the forearm too. Appears to me that the bolt handle was designed for this, least that's the way I've worked my type 38 through a couple practice rapid fire strings. Worked pretty durned good, and was much less awkward than grasping the knob with your fingers, like we do our Krags. I know I did better than the Army fellow who demonstrated shooting a magazine full rapidly, that I saw on TV. He was trying to use his thumb and forefinger.

With all its hardware, if you get a string of them on the firing line, you might establish a new definition for rattle battle.

JimF
11-15-2014, 05:44
. . . . . With all its hardware, if you get a string of them on the firing line, you might establish a new definition for rattle battle.

Amen! . . . . Especially if the entire string of them still have their dust covers in tact!! --Jim

psteinmayer
11-15-2014, 01:39
Amen to that Bob and Jim!

S.B.
07-05-2015, 05:49
Way to go! I can only wish I could still get into those positions? Arthritis doesn't even allow me to drive one of our little Shrine cars anymore. I envy you.
Steve

psteinmayer
07-05-2015, 06:07
My son will be shooting the Type 99 at Camp Perry this year. He's left handed... so he's going to have a ball trying to work that bolt! LOL