PDA

View Full Version : Cross Check of Barrel Drawing # / Heat lot to Date Stamp

RGBvr
09-28-2014, 06:42
I can't find any info online for barrel Drawing # / Heat lot codes. My barrel is dated 1-S-A-2-43 and has Drawing # / Heat lot D35448 16-A-8A stamped on it under the handguard. What approximate date range would this Drawing # / Heat lot correspond with?

Thanks,

Richard

BigMo
09-28-2014, 09:42
I think this is an accurate statement: Most collectors would say the date is the thing considered and not the steel lot #'s on a barrel. So your barrel date is 2-43. Scott Duff uses a 3-month window when comparing the barrel date to receiver. There are times when the barrel dates vs receiver dating is off like first production runs and last but also occasionally a disruption occurs. 1943 was not any of that so the time of February of 1943 to around maybe April of 1943 is accurate.

BTW- that date (according to Scott Duff in the "Serial numbers and Data sheets" Booklet) corresponds to around 1.2-1.3 million serial number.............

RGBvr
09-29-2014, 03:44
I think this is an accurate statement: Most collectors would say the date is the thing considered and not the steel lot #'s on a barrel. So your barrel date is 2-43. Scott Duff uses a 3-month window when comparing the barrel date to receiver. There are times when the barrel dates vs receiver dating is off like first production runs and last but also occasionally a disruption occurs. 1943 was not any of that so the time of February of 1943 to around maybe April of 1943 is accurate.

BTW- that date (according to Scott Duff in the "Serial numbers and Data sheets" Booklet) corresponds to around 1.2-1.3 million serial number.............

I'm not trying to marry the date of the barrel to the receiver production date, I'm certain my rifle was rebarreled with an earlier barrel. I suspect the barrel, bolt and operating rod were all changed at the same time. I'm interested in knowing what Drawing Rev / Heat lot matches up with the barrel date ( there are barrels with fake WW-II dates out there). I've done a lot of web surfing and found that Drawing Rev#s for barrels were not nearly as static as some other parts. It also seems this is an area that hasn't been extensively documented on the web.

Richard

BigMo
09-29-2014, 09:36
Oh, ok, I see what you are driving at now:

FWIW: I, like a lot (?) of people, haven't or don't follow the drawing/heat numbers that closely on the barrels. Instead I just use the date.

Sorry: FWIW, I haven't seen anything like that, so I'm of no help.

M1Riflenut
09-29-2014, 10:23
I can't find any info online for barrel Drawing # / Heat lot codes. My barrel is dated 1-S-A-2-43 and has Drawing # / Heat lot D35448 16-A-8A stamped on it under the handguard. What approximate date range would this Drawing # / Heat lot correspond with?

Thanks,

Richard

The revision 16 on a barrel is correct for late 42/early 43 time frame. The lot numbers can vary as it changed with each batch of steel used. I don't believe there is a chart (yet) that gives a list of them all throughout production. I use my own reference material based on all the barrels I have and pictures of others I have saved over the years to determine if a barrel date matches the range of the revision number. The same type of info can be used on receivers to determine if it's a welded up salvage piece. The receiver serial number should correspond to the revision number on the leg. There is a chart floating around that dates certain revision bolts and heat lots, but don't believe everything you read. Just because someone makes up a list in a book or online does not mean it's 100% correct. The bolt chart is a good guide but not gospel. I think Babcocks book also lists bolt heat lots to certain ranges but I don't think there is anything on barrels or receivers.