PDA

View Full Version : Federal Cartridge 308 match cartidges

Fred Pillot
09-24-2014, 11:54
I have a bunch of once fired 308 Win cases that came from a SWAT/Sniper competition.
The primers have a light blue primer sealant and headstamped FC 308 WIN. Does the sealant ID them as match?

These were the most prevalent cases, second was Hornady cases marked HORNADY 308 WIN MATCH. This is why I assume the FC cases were match loaded.

p246
09-24-2014, 04:31
My Federal tactical brass has that primer sealant on them. We use Hornady Match for non-barricade shooting and Federal Tactical for barricade shooting. Sounds like the combo you have.

joem
09-25-2014, 05:45
I was at the club when the SWAT team trained. Cheap skates would let one empty .308 case be left for range pick up.

Fred Pillot
09-25-2014, 12:22
p246, This is interesting. What kind of bullet is used in Federal Tactical? There were about 30 different teams at the competition. I believe some used the hornady and others used the Federal. I don't think that a team (in our case) would have mixed Match/Tactical loads because of exterior ballistics changes. Shooting was mixed from 100-400 yards from a barricade and from prone on the concrete pad up to about 16 shots in 8 minutes.

Update: Did a web search. They use a polymer tipped bonded bullet of 165gr @ 2600 fps or 168gr @ 2700fps. Designed to hold together and penetrate better but also have excellent accuracy. Sounds like an accurate hunting bullet.

p246
09-25-2014, 04:45
We have different dope for each round. The thin skinned AMAX bullet is very accurate but come apart easily. The Federal Tactical is less accurate but holds together well through barriers. Different rounds for different issues based on their strengths are pretty common.

The Tactical Round would probably do well especially on bone. I have boxes of Winchester Failsafe, until its gone that's my hunting round for. 308 and 30-06.

p246
09-25-2014, 04:46
I was at the club when the SWAT team trained. Cheap skates would let one empty .308 case be left for range pick up.

Lol I've given plenty away, but I've got a good stash built up. They must have all been reloaders.

Sunray
09-27-2014, 11:24
"...tactical brass..." Ain't marketing grand? There's no such thing as 'tactical' brass or anything else.
"...one empty .308 case be left for..." Our OPP TRU team was on a CF range before I opened it one time and left a big pile of 9mm brass. CF range rules require users to clean up their mess. The Range Control guy, who I just happened to know, was not amused. Suspect they may have been told not to come back. This was long after a Toronto ETF(same as SWAT) team fired a 9mm out of an SMG that landed next to a guy doing his roof. The only public range was closed as a result.
And no the sealant doesn't identify the Federal ammo as anything. Says it's match ammo on the box. That's what ID's it.