PDA

View Full Version : Lefty match shooting the carbine

PhillipM
09-23-2014, 11:45
The rules say it has to be a carbine sling attached fore and aft in the stock locations. As any lefty knows, trying to use the sling in competition in stock configuration is a nightmare. The sling under the heel of the stock torques the rifle counter clockwise with more tension and the whole thing is way too short. I think it was Maury that mentioned some lefties shoot with the sling over their head!

While grumbling to myself about the situation I looked at my Winchester and had an "ah hah" moment. The sling can be assembled backwards on the butt and the oiler will not let it slip out on my rifle giving me much needed length and eliminating the torque problem.

Your mileage may vary and I have no idea what the CMP would say at a games match, but it does fit the rules.

Sunray
09-27-2014, 11:06
Been shooting mine with no trouble using the sling for 40 plus years. No competitions though. Except for the competitions from ground hogs, etc.
Your 'Ah Hah!" moment should have been that the sling is adjustable for length. snicker. Even the leather one.

BigMo
09-27-2014, 12:24
Sunray:
Thanks for the usual useless sarcasm.

OP:
I too have been looking at that. So you leave the front alone, run it down and under the rifle and, then loop it thru the left side of the rifle stock? So atleast the butt "attachment" is on the "correct" side for lefties?

PhillipM
09-27-2014, 02:11
Correct, bigMo.

BigMo
09-28-2014, 02:52
Cool!
Thanks................
I'll be trying that soon. I also need to look if it's allowed (well exactly what it says) about how you can and cant mount the sling to the front swivel.