PDA

View Full Version : Dry firing a rimfire

PhillipM
09-23-2014, 10:19
I have a 1962 Browning 22 auto I've been shooting for 40 years and I would imagine since the bolt does not hold open on the last round, I've dry fired it at the end of nearly every magazine I've shot.

I also have a couple of Colt Woodsmans that I've not fired nearly as much but have the same issue of no hold open feature, so usually the chamber gets an empty snap at the end.

Did JMB design these so that the chamber would not be peened? If so are there others that can safely be dry fired?

CHW2021
09-24-2014, 05:26
That I am aware of, no .22 is designed to be dry fired. The firing pin is intended to impact the rim and in it's absence can strike the edge of the chamber/barrel creating a burr or stressing the firing pin and possibly leading to breakage or distortion. Everyone does it, not that it is advisable or terminally damaging, but not recommended.
My Mossberg (forget model #) has broken several firing pins as the design is rather weak, it is stressed under firing and seems to be cushioned only by striking the softer brass. The upside is that I have relatively few mis-fires even with cheap bulk ammo.

kcw
09-24-2014, 05:30
I have a 1962 Browning 22 auto I've been shooting for 40 years and I would imagine since the bolt does not hold open on the last round, I've dry fired it at the end of nearly every magazine I've shot.

I also have a couple of Colt Woodsmans that I've not fired nearly as much but have the same issue of no hold open feature, so usually the chamber gets an empty snap at the end.

Did JMB design these so that the chamber would not be peened? If so are there others that can safely be dry fired?

If your circa 1962 Browning is the Challenger model (that was the 1st year for that model) you can dry fire it without issue, according to the owner's manual.

Emri
09-24-2014, 07:02
Phillip,

You'll be OK with the Browning. Just don't sit around snapping it for no reason. Look at the breech face of the Woodsman and make sure it is recessed. If it is it will probably be OK also, but check the firing pin protrusion and make sure it doesn't come farther out than the recess is deep. If it has a flat breech face and a recessed chamber rim, avoid dry firing it if possible. Haven't you learned to count to ten yet ?? :^)

Emri

leftyo
09-24-2014, 05:18
while most are not ok to dry fire, there are many that are fine to dry fire.

usmc69
09-27-2014, 06:18
I have been told that if the firing pin is of proper length it should never come in contact with the chamber face. That being said and things being what they are....there are some that have firing pins that were not properly fitted and are to long, hence they will strike the chamber face. I have no problem with my Winchester 52's, Browning's, Walther's and the like. Some of the less expensive .22's will strike the chamber face, for these use snap caps and have a chamber iron.

PhillipM
09-27-2014, 08:14
Flat face on the Colt and the Browning is a 22 auto take down rifle, I should have been more clear.Thanks guys!

Emri
09-27-2014, 07:47
Flat face on the Colt and the Browning is a 22 auto take down rifle, I should have been more clear.Thanks guys!

I knew what the Brn. was. Remember your question about ser. no. and manufacturing date ? The problem with flat face breech faces and recessed chambers is that the firing pin, with years of wear, "could" strike the edge of the chamber, outside of the recessed rim area. Also firing pin stops and the attendant recess for them in the FP can wear. That is why I said to check the firing pin protrusion. The Brn. firing pin is quite stout and is totally different from the commonly encountered flat or round rim-fire firing pin.

HTH,

Emri

mp40man
11-30-2014, 04:32
After a cleaning session with my Colt Match Target Woodsman I chamber a spent case prior to relieving the trigger spring just to be safe. Rich

dave
01-25-2015, 02:46
All 22 rifles are safe to dry fire, when working as designed and does not have worn parts. I collect Mossbergs (not noted for being expensive rifles) some from back in the 30's. Have been shooting many different brands since the 1950's and have NEVER had a chamber face hit by fire pin! They are NOT designed "to impact the rim"! If they were the manufactures would be repairing thousands of guns every year! Serious target shooters dry fire for practice hundreds of time a month, if not more!

Pete D.
03-12-2015, 08:51
All 22 rifles are safe to dry fire, when working as designed and does not have worn parts. I collect Mossbergs (not noted for being expensive rifles) some from back in the 30's. Have been shooting many different brands since the 1950's and have NEVER had a chamber face hit by fire pin! They are NOT designed "to impact the rim"! If they were the manufactures would be repairing thousands of guns every year! Serious target shooters dry fire for practice hundreds of time a month, if not more!
I wonder about that "all 22 rifles" comment. I do not know that it is wrong; I do know that my Anschutz requires "dry fire device" for that practice.
I inadvertently peened the chamber face on my Ruger MK.II when, after cleaning, the firing pin stop fell out and I did not notice until after the gun was reassembled and dry fired. Fortunately, there is a very effective tool for repairing the dent.
Pete

Griff Murphey
03-12-2015, 08:14
German Sport Guns advises not to dry fire the .22 replica Stg-44. It's such a nice heavy piece it makes a good steady hold trainer but the tech on the phone said dry firing is a no no.

dave
03-13-2015, 05:46
I wonder about that "all 22 rifles" comment. I do not know that it is wrong; I do know that my Anschutz requires "dry fire device" for that practice.
I inadvertently peened the chamber face on my Ruger MK.II when, after cleaning, the firing pin stop fell out and I did not notice until after the gun was reassembled and dry fired. Fortunately, there is a very effective tool for repairing the dent.
Pete

As I said 'as designed and not worn', should I have included 'reassembled correctly'?