PDA

View Full Version : Is there a list of magnum primer ratings???

jjrothWA
09-23-2014, 07:10
Is there a comparison of magnum large rifle primers strengths?

Was told about a using Rem 9-1/2M for use in 7mmRemMAg reloading, all I can get are CCI 250 or WLRMagnus.

Advise.

Thanks.

Tuna
09-23-2014, 07:52
There may be minor differences between different makers but over all the results will be the same for all of them. If I remember right Federal magnum primers were the first along with Weatherly's rifles in the US and were considered to be the most consistent years ago.

leftyo
09-23-2014, 08:55
no, they are not all similiar. use what you can get, but work up your load.

BudT
09-23-2014, 09:26
I've used CCI , Winchester and Federal and they all worked fine.

emmagee1917
09-25-2014, 09:39
If the load being used was safe with the hotest primer , then the weaker ones would be safe , too . This would not indicate they were the same .
Some companies have said they use the same pellet in the magnums as in the regulars and the difference is in the cup thickness .
Others don't .
I remember a head-to-head between the different brands 20-30 years ago in G&A , and there was a lot of difference between everyones . That info is very dated and of no use now except to show they may not be the same .
Every time you change any componet in a load , back off and re-work up.
Chris

mikld
10-02-2014, 10:40
Without getting into the "this primer is ....." discussion and to answer your question, nope I don't believe there is a comparison chart for primer's "power". I have seen "primer brisiance" photos, so mebbe google "primer power/brisiance" and see what comes up...

joem
10-02-2014, 11:00
I agree that there is a difference between standard and magnum primers. I know this because I have some 4895 that requires mag primers to light it off.

Tuna
10-02-2014, 01:04
He was asking if there is a difference between magnum primers. But the answer is the same as with standard primers. They are the same yet there is differences. Magnum primers have a higher brisance then standard primers which means more fine particles of aluminum are placed into the primer pellet when made. This allows the particles to be driven deeper into the powder causing it to shatter quicker and causing a larger amount of the powder in the case to start burning. The differences between different makes is one might have more brisance or compound in the primer then another but the results are pretty much the same. Using a magnum primer instead of a standard primer can increase pressure in some loads as much as 15,000 psi. So start at a beginning load if your going to use magnum primers instead of standard ones that would be called for normally.

PhillipM
10-02-2014, 01:54
Somewhere I read there is no such thing as a magnum Berdan primer because the two small flame jets are superior in lighting powder as compared to Boxer primers.

joem
10-02-2014, 02:13
This could be, but I don't know anyone that reloads berdan brass anyway.

Allen
10-03-2014, 02:11
This could be, but I don't know anyone that reloads berdan brass anyway.

Interesting if true though. I always wondered why they made ammo as such and never changed to boxer.

Timberwolf
10-03-2014, 10:35
I've had the best luck with Federal LR Magnum primers in a .338LM and worst with Winchesters.

Sunray
10-04-2014, 12:40
Magnum primers have nothing whatever to do with the cartridge or its name. They're about the powder used and nothing else. If your manual doesn't tell you to use 'em, you don't need 'em. However, I've never seen any such list.