PDA

View Full Version : Monarch 110 gr. Softpoint .30 Cal. Carbine Ammunition

Art
09-23-2014, 01:18
I bought a box of this stuff a few months ago. It's Academy's proprietary brand. The box says Made in Yugoslavia so its probably Privi manufacture. It is brass case and cost $21.00 for 50. I had good luck with the Monarch fmj so decided to give this a shot when I went to the range today since I'd heard some folks say that some brands of softpoint ammo gave them feeding issues in their carbines.

First, the ammo was sure fire and fed flawlessly. I had one failure to extract and eject but I've had that issue with some other brands. In this case just not enough "oooomph" to work the action completely. The other 49 rounds functioned as intended.

I fired 34 rounds at a silhouette target at 200 yards from the bench, kneeling, offhand and offhand supported positions. All the rounds except one hit the target and the vast majority were grouped nicely center mass. I then put up an SR target (also at 200 yards) and fired the last 16 rounds from my Caldwell rest. 13 went into the black including 9 in the 10 ring (three were "Xs.") The three in the 8 ring were all called fliers. I can do better with my M1 firing generic M2 ball but not a lot better.

All in all, a very satisfactory product for a very nice price, especially considering the buck a round price for Winchester, Federal or Remington hollow or soft point ammunition if you can find it.

Tuna
09-23-2014, 07:48
The M1 carbine was never meant to be as accurate as the M1 Garand. It was made to hit man sized targets out to 300 yards with enough force to put them out of action by secondary troops who would not normally engage in combat operations. But since most combat was happening at well under 300 yards many combat units were happy to use the little carbine and it work out very well.

Sunray
09-24-2014, 10:35
"...some folks say..." Likely a mag lip issue. Been loading Speer HP's for eons with no fuss.
Head stamped PPU? That's Prvi. Prvi is getting a rep for over loaded ammo, up here.