PDA

View Full Version : RtL's Sept. Book Sale - EVERYTHING REDUCED!

Rick the Librarian
09-22-2014, 06:21
Everything left is REDUCED 25%!! Anything no longer, listed has been sold.

I’ve been “hunting and gathering” for the past few months and have come up with just possibly the largest group of WWII books I have ever offered. These are the “cream of the crop” With the days starting to turn cooler, stock up on some books for fall reading.

A) Payment can be made by check or money order. I may have to hold checks until they clear unless you are known to me. Paypal can be used, but a 4% premium will be added to offset fees charged by Paypal.
B) All prices do not include shipping. Shipping is done by USPS Media Mail, which I have found economical and secure. I will quote a shipping price, when you make an offer. Insurance is optional.
C) Books vary in condition and I do my best to describe them properly. Books are hardbacked unless otherwise mentioned. Any questions will be gladly answered. I will also provide reasonable pictures of the books or their content if you want. Obviously, “I’ll take it” trumps over “Can you send me more information?” 
D) When you contact me about these books, please inquire by book title, not number. You can contact me through this forum or at –rrsbls@msn.com-- (remove dashes)

E) These are for sale on other forums

I. “Rick’s Picks

1) “Delilah” by Marcus Goodrich SPF

2) “Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction by Tom Raabe. Have you ever awakened the morning after a book-buying spree, unable to remember how many you bought or how much you spent? Have you ever been reprimanded or fired for reading on the job? Have you ever purchased or rented additional living space -- just for your books? Then you, like me, are a biblioholic! Tom Raabe's Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction is a unique and hilarious guide for book lovers of all degrees and intensities. Trade ppk, Ex. near new, $4.95 REDUCED to $3.75

3) “Curse of the Narrows” by Laura MacDonald. SPF

II. World War II:

1)”No Simple Victory: World War II in Europe” by Norman Davies. Davies perceives several faults in both professional presentations and popular understandings of the war. Americans and Britons tend to overrate their countries' contribution to victory, remembering Dunkirk and D-Day and forgetting that most combat occurred in the east. More seriously, in Davies' estimation, Western historians and their audience do not sufficiently understand the war aims and murderous record of the Soviet Communist regime. It was as expansionist and unmercifully inhumane as the Nazi tyranny over which it was the principal victor. Trade ppk. VG-Ex. $4.95 REDUCED to $3.75

2) “Mortal Combat: Good and Evil in World War II” by Michael Burleigh SPF

3) “Pacific Payback: The Carrier Aviators Who Avenged Pearl Harbor” by Stephen Moore. SPF

4) “Seizing the Enigma” by David Kahn SPF

5) “B-29 Superfortress” by John Pimlott. SPF

6) “McCampbell’s Heroes” by Edwin Hoyt. SPF

7) “Aircraft Carrier: The Majestic Weapon” by Donald Macintyre. One of the Ballantine Illus. History of World War II. Numerous pictures, diagrams and data. Trade ppk. VG-Ex. $4.95 REDUCED to $3.75

8) “The Rape of Nanking” by Iris Chang. SPF

9) “Building the P-40 Warhawk” by Glen Phillips. SPF

III. 20th Century Military History:

1) “Admirals of the New Steel Navy” by James Bradford. A rare book published by the US Naval Institute on makers of American naval tradition. The third in a series, this volume concentrates on the development of the American naval tradition between 1880 and 1930. The book covers the transformation within the US Navy as it adapted to new technologies and accepted new responsibilities. The book contains biographical essays on 13 officers. VG-Ex., $11.50 REDUCED to $8.65

2) “American Admiralship: The Art of Naval Command”, by Edgar Puryear. (G) Puryear, a lecturer on leadership for the National Defense University, explores the views and principles that have guided these accomplished officers. Among them, he identifies an inventory of attributes that define the character of a successful leader in our day. The result is an artfully organized compendium of leadership principles from the likes of Ernest King, Chester Nimitz, William Halsey, Arleigh Burke, James Holloway, Carlisle Trost, Stansfield Turner, and William Crowe Jr. Puryear embeds the lessons in leadership from these exemplary lives in first-person accounts of significant events in history. Large trade ppk., VG=Ex. $6.95 REDUCED to $5.25

***Bundle Price***
Buy both “admiral” books and pay just $15.00 REDUCED to $11.75

3) “Naval Ceremonies, Customs and Traditions”. By William Mack (G) First published in 1934, this book has enjoyed a reputation both as an authoritative guide to conduct in a contemporary maritime setting and a fascinating historical reference on the ways of the sea and sailor going back to the earliest days of sail. Now updated to cover all the sea services, this new edition fully reflects today's diverse force while at the same time exploring the maritime history of the United States, its flag, and the U.S. Navy's uniforms. A new chapter on naval ceremonies offers more details than ever on such events as award presentations and changes of command. VG-Ex. $8.00 REDUCED to $6.00

4) “Fighter” by Ralf Leinberger. (G) SPF

5) “Medal of Honor” by Allen Mikaelian and Mike Wallace. The Congressional Medal of Honor is Americas highest military award. In this remarkable work, the first of its kind, acclaimed 60 Minutes reporter Mike Wallace looks at the lives of the recipients of the medal and explores what it is that drove them to go so far above and beyond the call of duty. Wallace examines not only their extraordinary feats in battle (plunging into heavy fire, throwing themselves on live grenades, attacking enemy regiments single-handed), but also their lives before and after. Throughout the book, and particularly in his moving introduction, he meditates on the meaning of courage and shows what we can learn. Ex. to near new, $7.50 REDUCED to $5.65

6) “Shooting Star, T-Bird and Starfire” by Rhodes Arnold. The story of the F-80, T-33 and F-94 derivatives. Many photos. Oversized trade ppk. $8.00 REDUCED to $6.00

I have other books, but, due to the length of this ad, I’m just listing titles, conditions and prices. Feel free to email/PM me if you need additional details.

IV. 19th Century Military History:

1) “The Age of Napoleon” by Christopher Herold. A huge oversized book with paintings, drawing and photographs. VG. $9.50 REDUCED to $7.15

2) “Admirals in Collision” by Richard Hough. SPF

3) “One Hundred Days: Napoleon’s Road to Waterloo” by Alan Schom. VG-Ex. $6.00 REDUCED to $4.50

V. Civil War

1) “Partners in Command: The Relationship Between Leaders in the Civil War” by Joseph Glatthaar. $5.95 REDUCED to $4.50

2) “Grant Takes Command” by Bruce Catton G-VG, $5.95 REDUCED to $4.50

3) “Grant Moves South” by Bruce Catton. VG, $6.00 REDUCED to $4.50

***Buy BOTH Grant books for $9.95 REDUCED to $7.95

4) “The Coming Fury”
5) “Terrible Swift Sword”
6) “Never Call Retreat”

3-vol set of the Civil War by noted authority Bruce Catton. No d/j but in VG/Ex shape. $6.95 ea. Or all three for $15.00 REDUCED to $5.25 ea. Or all three for $13.50

7) “Battle of New Market” by William C. Davis” – the early 1864 battle in the Shenandoah Valley, May, 1864. VG-Ex. $5.50 REDUCED to $4.15

VI. Biographies:

1) “Admiral Arleigh Burke” by E.B. Potter. Burke was a noted WWII naval commander and CNO in the 1950s. Near new, $8.50 REDUCED to $6.35

2) “Skyward” by Admiral Richard E. Byrd. The autobiography by the noted Arctic and Antarctic explorer. Original 1928 ed. $9.50 REDUCED to $7.00

3) “Douglas MacArthur: Statecraft and Stagecraft” by Russell Buhite. A short but (very) critical biography of Douglas MacArthur. Some pages underlined. Ex. trade ppk. $5.95 REDUCED to $4.50

4) “Rickover: Controversy and Genius” by Norman Polmar. (G) Funny how “Rickover”, “controversy” and “genius” all seem to go together! Written by noted naval authority, Norman Polmar. VERY detailed (700 pages). Ex. $7.95 REDUCED to $6.00

VII. Humor

1) Patrick McManus collection. The hilarious outdoor humorist and a great selection for “outdoor-oriented” families.
--“A Fine and Pleasant Misery
--“Real Ponies Don’t Go Oink”
--Never Sniff a Gift Fish”
--“The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw
All trade ppk. . $4.95 ea. Or the whole set for $14.50 REDUCED to $3.75 ea. Or the whole set for $13.00

2) “Dave Barry’s Complete Guide to Guys” by Dave Barry. A hilarious (and mostly) true book on what makes “guys” (as opposed to “men”) different! Ex-near new, $4.95. REDUCED to $3.75