PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Tudorp
09-21-2014, 12:12
Hello, new to this forum, but not new to guns, or milsurp. I tend to collect vintage military guns, bayonets and knives. I have a Garand I have owned now for about a year, but would like to find out more about the stock. It is a Korean war era Springfield M1 Garand (pictured at top). The stock has no markings other than BA-BD (boxed in) at the heal of the stock. This is what looks to be from a Benicia Armory rebuild. The 2nd set of letters "BD" I assume to be the rebuilder, or inspector initials. Can anyone tell me more about what this mark would be, and what the "BD" is, or who? I have not been able to find anything on that specific set of initials.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/Tudorp/P1110422_zps20490f88.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/Tudorp/M1/P1100104_zps9a930647.jpg

joem
09-21-2014, 05:16
Very Nice!!

tmark
09-21-2014, 07:40
Welcome to the collecting club. You're gonna regret it. It is that addictive.

fogerty
09-21-2014, 08:09
Nice presentation. Any specifics on the rest of the items in the pic? Just curious.

Tudorp
09-22-2014, 07:09
Oh, I am very aware of the addictiveness, lol.. Been collecting for some time, and ya just can't stop finding stuff ya want to add. I also collect militaria, WW1-Vietnam militaria, ammo cans, etc.

The M1 Carbine is a 1945 Winchester. Not 100% Winchester, but the stock, receiver, original 1945 Winchester barrel, Inland trigger housing with various internals. But, as most know that is not un common due to they never paid much attention to manufacture during the heat of war. All parts are USGI and era correct though. With it, I have a couple Winchester authentic WWII era mags, a National Postal Meter, International Silver, Inland, and a couple WWII authentic 30 round Seyour Products hard backs. Also a WWII .30 cal ammo can full of misurp .30 carbine rounds. The pouch & oiler are authentic, the sling and canvas case are reproduction.

On the Colt M1911A1, it is a 1914 dated Colt navy M1911 frame, Remington Rand slide, era correct arsenal rebuild stamps during WWII rebuilt in the A1 configuration. The pouch is authentic, the holster is a repop. Also have one original and correct mag with the lanyard loop, the other mag is a later mag (maybe post war, maybe not) without the loop.

Have a Korean War era J&D Tool M5A1 bayo for the Garand, as well as a field arsenal reconfigured M1905 feild arsenal reconfigured (shortened by American Fork & Hoe). All proper arsenal and re-arsenal stamps (WWII). The Carbine bayo is an early WWII Utica M4 with a leather grip. Also collect military knives, and have the typical KaBars, Camillus, and a nice WWII Navy PAL Mk1. Various other bayos, etc. Love em all.

The Garand is Springfield with original barrel, and most parts are Springfield. The sling on that I am not 100% positive it is authentic, but myself and several collectors that have inspected think it may very well be. If it isn't authentic, it is certainly a very good and convincing quality reproduction. It is in a condition that it was never issued, which is a flag that it might be a post war, or reproduction. But again, if it is a repop, it is a pretty good and convincing one.

RCS
09-22-2014, 07:10
BD is the inspector, many others such as: BA WJ, BA-WK, BA-WL, BA-J.S., BA-J.L., BA-BU and still more