PDA

View Full Version : M97 receiver markings, bogus?

ww2imposter
09-21-2014, 06:05
These look rather fresh to me. GB # 440261882

scosgt
09-21-2014, 09:01
The gun itself is the real deal, proper serial number, proper handguard.
The markings do look too fresh and deep, proper stamps, but they do not match the condition of the gun. Keep in mind they were hand stamped, these look too good.
What a shame, this appears to be a real trench that someone decided to enhance. Gun would be right as rain without the markings.

ww2imposter
09-21-2014, 11:19
My thoughts exactly. It's up over $3100.00 now. I contacted the seller (Numrich Importing, LLC) and questioned the "US & Ordnance bomb" markings on the receiver . This was their responce;
On Friday, September 19, 2014 8:45 AM, Numrich Importing <importing@gunpartscorp.com> wrote:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for that information. We have described the rifle as shown in the pictures. According to our technical staff this is an original Trench gun. Have a nice day.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to email us at importing@gunpartscorp.com.

I didn't question the authenticity of the gun, just the bogus "US & Ordnance bomb" markings on the receiver. They totally dodged the question.
Someone is going to get $crewed hard on this one.

scosgt
09-21-2014, 11:56
Numrich has been known to sell repro Ordinance stamps from WWII. Don't know about WWI stamps, but I think there is some reason there for caution. It is still a good gun.

SPEEDGUNNER
09-22-2014, 11:20
Those markings are an enigma. You usually find them to be very faint, and not as deeply struck. They may be good however, on this gun most of the wear is focused on the barrel and handguard areas, not so much the receiver and buttstock. The receivers usually show the most wear as that is the natural carry point, this one doesn't show that. Not really enough pictures to know for sure. With Numrich's business model this shotgun could be an amalgamation of parts, the real deal, the real deal with enhancements, only they really know. With the prices of trenchguns being what they are, they are going to take that knowledge to the bank when the hammer drops on this one.