PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a Hornady Lock N Load AP

p246
09-19-2014, 12:45
Looking for a new progressive. It was between a Dillon 650 and Hornady LNL. I think I'm going LNL for the simple fact I change calibers alot and usually load 500 then switch. I like the LNL's ease of switching calibers over the 650. Not looking for a blue versus red war as I think they both are awesome products, just interested if anyone on here is running the LNL and can give input.

I load 9mm, 38, 45 and some runs of .223 .308 and 30-06 (plinking stuff) on a progressive. All my serious rifle is loaded on a single stage.

I've been running a Lee turrent for a long time but the top plate has worn enough I'm getting excessive runout because the top is flexing when the ram is pushing up. The little 100.00 cheapy is just worn out.

joem
09-19-2014, 04:27
I have the 650. Caliber change is quite simple if you buy extra tool heads. I can change calibers in less than 5 mins. I do have a extra powder measure and powder dies for each caliber. I have one for rifle and the other for pistol calibers. All that necessary is to change the tool head, maybe the case feeder plate and install caliber conversion kit.

p246
09-19-2014, 06:18
The 650 is an excellant machine. I think the primer system is better than the lnl but it sounds like the powder dispensor gets better nods than the 650. Dillons warranty is better but both gets A's on customer service. I've read the LNL is more die friendly with other brands of dies than Dillon. I was really split on which machine.

So what else is in play is I have a bass pro credit card and they carry the LNL. Got enough points to buy the press, yeah been saving and renewing my points all year. So I guess being conflicted on which one that's why I'm leaning red. Although I've read that caliber change is easier on the LNL your not the first person to say the 650 is not that hard.

I will say I got years and thousands of rounds out of my lee turrent. The primer system was junk so I handprimed, other than that for a cheapy she ran a long time.

joem
09-20-2014, 04:54
I also hand prime all my cases. The electric cases feeder works very well and saves alot of time. All I have to do is keep the powder filled and bullets in the tray. I use my Hornady LNL single stage to size and decap all my cases and to reload some calibers that I don't shoot very much. The LNL is showing wear as the toggle wore out and was replaced. The ram or press body is showing quite a bit of wear.

p246
09-22-2014, 07:58
Well I picked it up today so I guess I'll find out if its worth a dam. Got it unpacked and degreased. Thought I had some mounting bolts but they are not long enough. Headed to the hardware store in the morning. I got to get it up and running. My son is home on leave and we've went through most of the 9 I had loaded, 1/2 the 45 and pobaby a 1/3rd of the 38. He's been home 3 days lol. Were headed out tomorrow afternoon to put a dent in the 30_06 and 303 stockpile.

joem
09-23-2014, 10:38
Good luck and you better get reloading to keep up with demand.

p246
09-23-2014, 09:34
Lol, we built some rifle gongs today so that slowed his trigger finger down. Set up the press tonight and ran 75 through it. The only minor issue I ran into is the paws that run the shell plate were adjusted too short at the factory and it indexed short. It wasn't to hard to adjust. I'll have to save up for the case feeder. I bought the optional light with it, which is very helpful confirming the powder charge.

I bought a four die set of Lyman 9mm dies as my old set I bought used were getting long in the teeth. I like using the M die to load cast bullets but this is my first full set of Lymans. Midway had them on sell so I popped for a set. I've been using Lee dies with a M die on pistol. So far I've been happy with them.

DRAGONFLYDF
09-24-2014, 04:16
I have a LnL and use the snot out of it, I load a dozen different calibers, the only trouble with switching between them is setting up the powder measure. I have different measuring inserts for each caliber, they are cheap enough, so that is easy to swap out, the part that used to take time was setting up the spacers for it, I marked the ends with letters and keeps notes as to what spacer to use and in what order. I also keep notes as to what settings to use on the case feeder. I load from 9mm to 45/70 on it with no problems.
If there is a weak spot it is the primer system, it likes to be kept clean, I keep a small paint brush handy to sweep out the channel it runs in.

p246
09-24-2014, 04:28
I had read that. Being paranoid I kept my air hose handy blowing it out every 20 rounds. Lol never had an issue. I found a couple other reviews where the user had trouble with the case feeder on 9mm. Hopefully when I get one it will feed everything. When I get as rich as Joem I'll buy a Dillon 1050:evil6: