PDA

View Full Version : Type 1 NM MAYBE

09-17-2014, 07:12
I also posted on Milsurps but would like to hear opinions and thoughts from those on this forum who may not follow Milsurps.

Today, in a local gun shop, I saw what appeared to be a Type 1 N.M., without any documentation. Rifle appeared to be an all correct 5.83 with NM marked 3 of 55 barrel. It appeared that, other than SA targeting and proofing, the rifle was unfired.
The barrel had the correct proof marks for a NM rifle.
The fact that there was no star after the NM barrel marking seemed to rule out late 1956 and 1957. No wedges in recoil shoulders, no date codes, unbedded stock. I am thinking it seems most likely, late 1955, early 1956. I don't think it is faked in any way..
The shop said that they felt it was a CMP rifle as it was full of cosmo / grease when they got it and took a few hours to clean. I asked if they knew, for sure, it was from CMP and they said they did not.
If the rifle is in fact an undocumented Type 1 what do you think the value should be ?
As it stands, I don't want to take the gamble that CMP may not be able to verify a DCM sale. If it is a CMP sale of a NM Greek return, I am not interested at the asking price of $ 1925.00 plus tax.
My thought is if it were a service rifle and not a NM, in the condition it is in, it would be worth about $ 1100.00.