PDA

View Full Version : Gas Plug from Garand Gear

captcrunch227
09-16-2014, 09:50
Wanted to get some opinions here. I am thinking about getting a ported gas plug from garandgear.com. Was recommended to me by a fellow Garand owner. They claim it reduces the gas pressure by 30% and lets you shoot modern commercial ammunition. I was curious if anyone here had any experience with these and could give me an opinion on their experience with them? This is my first Garand (my baby) and I don't wanna screw it up by using something that's a scam and end up bending my op rod using the modern ammo. Thanks for the help y'all and God Bless.

Bill E
09-17-2014, 06:17
Not familiar with products from garandgear.com but there are several manufacturers of adjustable gas plugs that can be tailored for different commercial ammunition. Perhaps some other members can chime in with more detailed info.

StockDoc
09-17-2014, 06:39
I have a Schuster gas plug, works great, but with all the Garand specific and info for the commercial loads, I find I don't need it anymore. As long as ammo pressure is at or below 50,000 psi it will be fine. The other alternative is hand loading your rounds.

PhillipM
09-17-2014, 07:46
The garand gear plug is NOT ported, it works by having a larger chamber for the gas, thereby lowering the pressure.

Dollar Bill
09-17-2014, 08:39
I've considered the same thing. The GarandGear plug is simple, the science is solid and there's no reason not to use one for it's intended purpose. The only reason I don't use one is that I only shoot handloads and they are milder than M2 Ball and they are not legal for use in Garand matches.

joem
09-17-2014, 01:04
I bought a Schuster gas plug and it did work. Since I now handload I don't use it anymore because it wouldn't work with reduced loads.

captcrunch227
09-17-2014, 06:59
Awesome thanks for the information guys. Ah of right now reloading isn't an option for me, but hopefully will be in the next year or two. I may give it a go and try it out. If others have used different gas plugs with success then this may be good too. Like I said, I know of at least one guy who says it's good.

pickax
09-18-2014, 02:20
I have used the Garand gear plug since it's intro a couple years ago with good results.
It was discussed extensively on CMP forums at the time, and Eric's testing was thorough.
All his pressure graphs and test results are on GG site.
Simple and works for a wide range of ammo.

captcrunch227
09-21-2014, 02:20
I have used the Garand gear plug since it's intro a couple years ago with good results.
It was discussed extensively on CMP forums at the time, and Eric's testing was thorough.
All his pressure graphs and test results are on GG site.
Simple and works for a wide range of ammo.
Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for the reply