PDA

View Full Version : RtL's Sept. Book Sale

Rick the Librarian
09-15-2014, 05:22
List updated to reflect recent sales.

I’ve been “hunting and gathering” for the past few months and have come up with just possibly the largest group of WWII books I have ever offered. These are the “cream of the crop”. With the days starting to turn cooler, stock up on some books for fall reading.

A) Payment can be made by check or money order. I may have to hold checks until they clear unless you are known to me. Paypal can be used, but a 4% premium will be added to offset fees charged by Paypal.
B) All prices do not include shipping. Shipping is done by USPS Media Mail, which I have found economical and secure. I will quote a shipping price, when you make an offer. Insurance is optional.
C) Books vary in condition and I do my best to describe them properly. Books are hardbacked unless otherwise mentioned. Any questions will be gladly answered. I will also provide reasonable pictures of the books or their content if you want. Obviously, “I’ll take it” trumps over “Can you send me more information?” 
D) When you contact me about these books, please inquire by book title, not number. You can contact me through this forum or at –rrsbls@msn.com-- (remove dashes)

E) These books are for sale on other forums.

I. “Rick’s Picks

1) “Order of Battle: World War II” by Shelby Stanton. SPF

2) “The Regulars” by Edward Coffman - SPF

3) “The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt” by Edmund Morris SPF

4) “River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt’s Darkest Journey” by Candice Millard. SPF

5) “Delilah” by Marcus Goodrich. Considered a classic by the naval history community and very hard to locate, the novel is in all ways extraordi¬nary. The story, which occurs on the eve of the First World War, is that of a U.S. Navy destroyer on detached duty in the Philippines and of the men who serve in her. In the tiny world of a de¬stroyer in a vast universe of the sea, the officers and men of Delilah carry out their orders heroically, according to the code of the fighting man, to patrol their assigned area, to inspect remote islands, to show the flag, to carry out diplomat¬ic missions, and to prepare for the impending war. It has been compared to Herman Melville. 1941 ed. G-VG $7.50

6) “Jeb Stuart” by John W. Thomason. SPF

7) “Samurai” by Saburo Sakai. SPF

8 ) “Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction by Tom Raabe. Have you ever awakened the morning after a book-buying spree, unable to remember how many you bought or how much you spent? Have you ever been reprimanded or fired for reading on the job? Have you ever purchased or rented additional living space -- just for your books? Then you, like me, are a biblioholic! Tom Raabe's Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction is a unique and hilarious guide for book lovers of all degrees and intensities. Trade ppk, Ex. near new, $4.95

9) “Curse of the Narrows” by Laura MacDonald. The merchant ship Mont Blanc, loaded with thousands of tons of TNT and the notoriously unstable explosive picric acid, was passing through the Narrows in Halifax, Nova Scotia when it was struck by a Belgian relief vessel on December 6, 1917 and exploded. More than 1,600 died, thousands more were injured and the blast wave collapsed buildings, in the words of a survivor, "like a grain field in harvest before a gust of wind." This details the disaster. New new, $8.95.

II. World War II:

1. “For Crew and Country” by John Wukovits. (G) SPF

2) “The Battle of Leyte Gulf” by Thomas Cutler. (G) SPF

3) “Afternoon of the Rising Sun” by Kenneth Friedman. (G) SPF

***BUNDLE PRICE***

Buy all three books on Leyte Gulf and pay just $19.95

4) “The Franklin Comes Home” by A.A. Hoehling SPF

5) “Danger’s Hour” by Maxwell Kennedy. SPF

6) “Kamikazes, Corsairs and Picket Ships: Okinawa, 1945” by Robin Rielly. (G) SPF

****BUNDLE Price ****

Buy all three “Kamikaze” books (4, 5, 6) and pay just $22.50

7) “Flights of Passage” by Samuel Hynes. SPF

8) “Aces High: The Two Top-Scoring American Aces of WWII” by Bill Yenne (G) SPF

10) “Dec. 7, 1941: The Day the Japanese Attacked Pearl Harbor” by Gordon Prange SPF

12)”No Simple Victory: World War II in Europe” by Norman Davies. Davies perceives several faults in both professional presentations and popular understandings of the war. Americans and Britons tend to overrate their countries' contribution to victory, remembering Dunkirk and D-Day and forgetting that most combat occurred in the east. More seriously, in Davies' estimation, Western historians and their audience do not sufficiently understand the war aims and murderous record of the Soviet Communist regime. It was as expansionist and unmercifully inhumane as the Nazi tyranny over which it was the principal victor. Trade ppk. VG-Ex. $4.95

13) “Mortal Combat: Good and Evil in World War II” by Michael Burleigh. Burleigh (Blood Rage: A Cultural History of Terrorism) delivers a long, riveting account of awful events and the perverted reasoning behind them. Communist, Nazi, Fascist, and Japanese systems claimed to be regimes of public virtue carrying out inexorable historical processes. Proclaiming that the only evil was obstructing this march to utopia, all discarded the rule of law and alternative moral authority (religion, ethics). The Holocaust and other familiar WWII atrocities top off an exhaustive litany of mass murder, brutality, and squalid cruelty perpetrated by governments, military leaders, local officials, and ordinary individuals who, acting without moral values, became monsters. Burleigh does not ignore Hiroshima and Allied mass bombing campaigns, but deplores the current fashion for balancing the moral books. Near new, $9.00

14) “Pacific Payback: The Carrier Aviators Who Avenged Pearl Harbor” by Stephen Moore. In the early naval battles in the Pacific, the U.S. carriers took the fight to the enemy. Their most effective weapon was the Douglas SBD Dauntless dive bomber. At Midway the SBDs destroyed four carriers and arguably turned the tide of the War against Japan. Their individual stories, however, remain largely untold. Stephen L. Moore’s Pacific Payback relates the experiences of the Enterprise SBDs beginning with the attack on Pearl Harbor up to Midway and covers all the carrier dive bombers in that decisive battle. Virtually brand-new! $15.50

16) “The Two Ocean War” by Samuel Eliot Morison. (G) SPF

18) “Seizing the Enigma” by David Kahn. SEIZING THE ENIGMA tells the thrilling story of the Royal Navy's battle to crack the Germans' supposedly unbreakable U-boat Enigma code, which would allow the vital Allied convoys in the North Atlantic to be routed away from Dönitz's wolfpacks. This battle was fought both on shore and at sea: by an assortment of scientists, chess champions and linguists, including Alan Turing, the father of the modern computer, who struggled to crack Enigma at Bletchley Park, and in the Atlantic by sailors and intelligence officers, such as Ian Fleming, the future creator of James Bond. Near new, $8.00

19) “The American Heritage Picture History of World War II” by C.L. Sulzberger. SPF

19A) “The American Heritage History of World War I” by SLA Marshall. SPF

20) “B-29 Superfortress” by John Pimlott. An oversized book on this famous bomber of the late war. Short text, but very thorough, and loaded with pictures, diagrams and maps. Near new, $7.95

21) Hitler’s Great Panzer Heist: Germany’s Foreign Armor in Action. By Anthony Tucker-Jones. SPF

23) “Midway: The Battle That Doomed Japan” by Mitsuo Fuchida. SPF

24) “McCampbell’s Heroes” by Edwin Hoyt. SPF

25) “Aircraft Carrier: The Majestic Weapon” by Donald Macintyre. One of the Ballantine Illus. History of World War II. Numerous pictures, diagrams and data. Trade ppk. VG-Ex. $4.95

26) “Six Armies in Normandy” by John Keegan. SPF

27) “The Rape of Nanking” by Iris Chang. In December 1937, the Japanese army swept into the ancient city of Nanking. Within weeks, more than 300,000 Chinese civilians and soldiers were systematically raped, tortured, and murdered—a death toll exceeding that of the atomic blasts of Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. A best-seller that was very controversial in Japan. Near new, $8.95

28) “Stillwell and the American Experience in China” by Barbara Tuchman SPF

29) “Building the P-40 Warhawk” by Glen Phillips. A pictorial guide for modelers on building this historic WWII fighter. Many pictures and a good guide. Magazine-sized ppk. $6.75

30) “Knight’s Cross: A Life of Erwin Rommel” by David Fraser. SPF

III. 20th Century Military History:

1) “Admirals of the New Steel Navy” by James Bradford. A rare book published by the US Naval Institute on makers of American naval tradition. The third in a series, this volume concentrates on the development of the American naval tradition between 1880 and 1930. The book covers the transformation within the US Navy as it adapted to new technologies and accepted new responsibilities. The book contains biographical essays on 13 officers. VG-Ex., $11.50

2) “American Admiralship: The Art of Naval Command”, by Edgar Puryear. (G) Puryear, a lecturer on leadership for the National Defense University, explores the views and principles that have guided these accomplished officers. Among them, he identifies an inventory of attributes that define the character of a successful leader in our day. The result is an artfully organized compendium of leadership principles from the likes of Ernest King, Chester Nimitz, William Halsey, Arleigh Burke, James Holloway, Carlisle Trost, Stansfield Turner, and William Crowe Jr. Puryear embeds the lessons in leadership from these exemplary lives in first-person accounts of significant events in history. Large trade ppk., VG=Ex. $6.95

***Bundle Price***
Buy both “admiral” books and pay just $15.00

3) “Prisoner at War”: The Survival of Commander Richard Stratton” by Scott Blakey. In this book, which stemmed from a documentary done by KQED in San Francisco, Scott Blakey applies his considerable talent as a writer to the task of telling the story of Commander Richard Allen Stratton's personal and his family's ordeals during his years of captivity in a Vietnamese P.O.W. camp for over six years. The story is honest and straightforward. No details of the Stratton's personal story is spared or hidden as they share the pain of the time apart, and the pain of the reunion after so long. It is a powerful story, which runs throughout with the strength of the Stratton's patriotism and familial love that kept them together as a family. Ex-near new ppk. $4.50

4) “A Prisoner’s Duty: Great Escapes in US Military History”. By Robert Doyle SPF

5) “US Army Survival Manual FM 21-76”. SPF

7) “Fighter” by Ralf Leinberger. (G) This book is timeless and just as true of the eccentric-looking "flying crates" of 1914, constructed of wire, wood and fabric, as the technological marvels bristling with weapons of today. Come with us on a journey into a world of brilliant designers and daring pilots - the world of the fighter past and present. From 1914 to the present, numerous photos. Trade ppk. $5.95

8) “Medal of Honor” by Allen Mikaelian and Mike Wallace. The Congressional Medal of Honor is Americas highest military award. In this remarkable work, the first of its kind, acclaimed 60 Minutes reporter Mike Wallace looks at the lives of the recipients of the medal and explores what it is that drove them to go so far above and beyond the call of duty. Wallace examines not only their extraordinary feats in battle (plunging into heavy fire, throwing themselves on live grenades, attacking enemy regiments single-handed), but also their lives before and after. Throughout the book, and particularly in his moving introduction, he meditates on the meaning of courage and shows what we can learn. Ex. to near new, $7.50

9) “Over the Beach: The Air War in Vietnam” by Zalin Grant. SPF

10) “City Under Siege: The Berlin Blockade” by Michael Haydock. SPF

11) “Shooting Star, T-Bird and Starfire” by Rhodes Arnold. The story of the F-80, T-33 and F-94 derivatives. Many photos. Oversized trade ppk. $8.00

I have other books, but, due to the length of this ad, I’m just listing titles, conditions and prices. Feel free to email/PM me if you need additional details.

IV. 19th Century Military History:

1) “The Age of Napoleon” by Christopher Herold. A huge oversized book with paintings, drawing and photographs. VG. $9.50

2) “The Zulu War: A Pictorial History” by Michael Barthorp. SPF

3) “Admirals in Collision” by Richard Hough. Two giant British battleships collide in the Mediterranean in 1895. VG ex library, $5.00

4) “One Hundred Days: Napoleon’s Road to Waterloo” by Alan Schom. VG-Ex. $6.00

V. Civil War

1) “Partners in Command: The Relationship Between Leaders in the Civil War” by Joseph Glatthaar. $5.95

2) “Grant Takes Command” by Bruce Catton G-VG, $5.95

3) “Grant Moves South” by Bruce Catton. VG, $6.00

***Buy BOTH Grant books for $9.95

4) “The Coming Fury”
5) “Terrible Swift Sword”
6) “Never Call Retreat”

3-vol set of the Civil War by noted authority Bruce Catton. No d/j but in VG/Ex shape. $6.95 ea. Or all three for $15.00

7) “Battle of New Market” by William C. Davis” – the early 1864 battle in the Shenandoah Valley, May, 1864. VG-Ex. $5.50

8) “Jeff Davis’ Own: Cavalry, Comanches and the Battle for the Texas Frontier.” By James Arnold SPF

VI. Biographies:

1) “Admiral Arleigh Burke” by E.B. Potter. Burke was a noted WWII naval commander and CNO in the 1950s. Near new, $8.50

2) “Skyward” by Admiral Richard E. Byrd. The autobiography by the noted Arctic and Antarctic explorer. Original 1928 ed. $9.50

3) “Douglas MacArthur: Statecraft and Stagecraft” by Russell Buhite. A short but (very) critical biography of Douglas MacArthur. Some pages underlined. Ex. trade ppk. $5.95

4) “Rickover: Controversy and Genius” by Norman Polmar. (G) Funny how “Rickover”, “controversy” and “genius” all seem to go together! Written by noted naval authority, Norman Polmar. VERY detailed (700 pages). Ex. $7.95

VII. Humor

1) Patrick McManus collection. The hilarious outdoor humorist and a great selection for “outdoor-oriented” families.
--“A Fine and Pleasant Misery
--“Real Ponies Don’t Go Oink”
--Never Sniff a Gift Fish”
--“The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw
--“Into the Twilight, Endlessly Grousing” (this is the one I’d pick! ) SPF

All trade ppk. Except “Twilight”. $4.95 ea. Or the whole remaining set for $14.50

2) “Dave Barry’s Complete Guide to Guys” by Dave Barry. A hilarious (and mostly) true book on what makes “guys” (as opposed to “men”) different! Ex-near new, $4.95.