PDA

View Full Version : no4 mk1 peddled scheme question

GBEAR1
09-14-2014, 05:58
I was looking at a friends No4 Mk1 rifle. It said it was a PEDDLED SCHEME rifle. From the research I have done I understand the the PEDDLED SCHEME guns were not made any more after WW1. Could his rifle be a peddled scheme gun? What markings should be on it? If so how much of a premium does this put on the value? As always thanks for the help in advance.

p246
09-14-2014, 07:22
Not aware of any peddle schemes during WW11.

JB White
09-14-2014, 10:57
I have never seen a No4 marked as such. Photos of the rifle with the marking might shed a little light on it...maybe. That having been said, the No4 rifle was designed with dispersal production in mind and BSA came to rely on it more heavily during the war years.

As far as I know only the WW1 era SSA/NRF rifles are commonly called peddled scheme.

John Sukey
09-14-2014, 11:43
Peddled scheme rifles were No1Mk3's and there ain't no stinking premium on them

5Batt
09-15-2014, 11:53
He could be meaning it's a Lend lease No4.

Hal O'Peridol
09-15-2014, 07:21
Sounds like someone has got their terms mixed up. No No4 Enfields were ever peddled scheme. I think this might be the rare exception to the "never say never" rule.

Alan De Enfield
09-16-2014, 01:16
I was looking at a friends No4 Mk1 rifle. It said it was a PEDDLED SCHEME rifle. .

Do you mean that "Peddled Scheme" was actually marked on the rifle ?

As has been previously said, WW2 production of BSA rifles was 'Dispersed' (to minimise bomb-damage) Components were manufactured in a number of factories and then final assembly was undertaken at BSA Shirley.

In reality there is no difference in the concept of "Peddled Scheme" & 'Dispersal', just that 'Peddled' was used because SSA could not produce enough parts to complete a rifle, and 'Dispersal' was used to maintain production in the event a one factory being bombed.

No4's produced by BSA under the Dispersal system normally just have the letter B on the butt socket, in lieu of the full BSA

GBEAR1
09-16-2014, 03:50
I dont remember all the markings on it and it was not lend lease. I was just told that it was a peddled scheme rifle because it had parts on it that were not consistent with what would normally be seen . But from what I can figure the peddled scheme program was over at the end of WW1 and it pertained only to N01Mk3 rifles.

Father Ted
09-16-2014, 09:30
He probably meant to say its a "humper" and 1/2 off :)

Alan De Enfield
09-16-2014, 10:18
He probably meant to say its a "humper" and 1/2 off :)

Is "Humper" a colonial term for a 'Bitsa' ?

Father Ted
09-16-2014, 11:51
Is "Humper" a colonial term for a 'Bitsa' ?

Funny, I usually only hear it when referenced to T's. Humped together snipers. I believe the sentiment is the same. Bitsa this one and some bitsa that one humped together. :)
Cheers

JB White
09-16-2014, 03:17
I have always heard the term "humped" when it came to fakery/forgery to enhance the value of a rifle. In other words, adding parts or fake stamps to make a common rifle a scarce or rare rifle.

Bitsa or bitser is most often used when dealing with a parts gun. Not a gun to be stripped for parts, but one made up from parts.

Lottsa bitsa Lugers out there with humped markings. ;)

Alan De Enfield
09-16-2014, 11:56
Just thought I'd check - as 'humping' is what a dog does to the leg of your guests when you are sat down for 'tea and crumpets'

John Sukey
09-17-2014, 12:04
A while back one dealer was offering fake T's. Rather obvious since he mounted the front mounting plate on the reciever without any machine work.
The reciever has to be machined flat in that area or the mount will be crooked. I suppose that due to the scarcity of the No32 scope, he thought nobody would try to mount one.

Father Ted
09-17-2014, 09:27
Just thought I'd check - as 'humping' is what a dog does to the leg of your guests when you are sat down for 'tea and crumpets'

Quite a rude doggy you have there Alan :)

Guamsst
09-18-2014, 07:58
Sounds like a good term to get full price out of a parts gun.