PDA

View Full Version : Optic advice needed

Truman
09-13-2014, 01:35
I have shot several ARs in different configurations. Some with open, red dot sights and varmint scopes. All have their purpose. But at my age I don't do much entry work or room clearing any more. The red dots always seem to be dead when I want to shoot. I don't need big scopes for 100yd work and open sights for older eyes have their issues also. What can be recommended for a light compact non battery powered low magnification optic that would be quick to get into action that won't break the bank? Thanks Truman

Dienekes
09-13-2014, 02:23
Some time back I got a Weaver 1-3x variable to put on an A1 top, but I didn't care for it, took it off. Recently I got an M&P 10 and put that on for the time being. With match loads it put 4 of 4 into a 2" group at 300, off a bedroll. Not bad for a scope that cost $180 or so.

Andouille
09-21-2014, 05:59
USMC are using Trijicon dot sights of some description. Trijicon's are pretty tough and dual powered to gather available light or use tritium inserts, depending on the operating conditions, to provide an aiming point. Some are fairly low powered. Might look into them.

However Aimpoint makes several models of non-magnified dot sights that claim up to 50,000 hours of battery life. That's a long time, even if you forget to turn them off for a year or so, and the Army has been using them for several years now.

None of those are particularly cheap, but have the dual advantage of being tough and work well.

StockDoc
10-06-2014, 07:55
I have a Leupold, that I like a lot. Use it in a handle mount that can also use the open sights. Good lowlight use.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362370420/leupold-mark-ar-mod-1-rifle-scope-15-4x-20mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-matte

bd1
10-07-2014, 03:34
I'm getting good targets room-clearing range to 600 yds w/ 16" bbl Colt M4A1 and Eotech EXPS3-2 dot + 3X magnifier. If I flip the magnifier out of the way the optic is co-witnessed with the irons at 200 yds. Energizer "123" batteries last a long time if the optic is switched off when idle.

browningautorifle
10-07-2014, 05:14
I have one each of Aimpoint and EOTEC and have good to say about both. Neither one's cheap though, maybe that's why I have good to say about them.

Emri
10-08-2014, 07:20
What can be recommended for a light compact non battery powered low magnification optic that would be quick to get into action that won't break the bank? Thanks Truman

Try a Nikon P-223 scope. They fit quite nicely and aren't very expensive. Get the Nikon P-223 mount system to mount it. Makes a very nice set-up. I have mounted several and like how they go together, a real nice system. The scope has generous eye relief and the mounts allow forward mounting so you don't have to lean back to see through the scope and you can access the charging handle without reaching around the scope.

HTH,

Emri