PDA

View Full Version : 1907 sling ?

jdsal
09-11-2014, 09:20
I have a 1907 sling with brass hardware. The question I have is what is the buildup of the green crud all around the brass? I understand oxidation but this is like green grease it is so built up.
Some treatment to stop it it's really nasty and I've cleaned it more than once?

george r
09-12-2014, 08:49
Verdigris forms at the junction of leather and brass. I have no idea how to stop it. It is a form of corrosion of the brass part. In one old holster I have it was enough to fracture a snap fitting from the build up against the thinning metal. I think the presence of the leather provides enough water for the corrosion.
i just brush it away as it takes years to build up to a really heavy accumulation.

emmagee1917
09-12-2014, 09:19
Reaction from the titanic acid used to tan the leather and the brass . As long as they can touch , the reaction will continue . I believe some treatments can seal them up and slow the reaction down , but it can't be totally stoped.
Chris

Johnny P
09-12-2014, 06:04
That is verdigris and it is poisonous.

John Sukey
09-12-2014, 11:11
Titanic acid?:icon_lol:

Ben Hartley
09-13-2014, 07:49
Titanic acid?:icon_lol:

It's a BIG problem.

Dan Shapiro
09-13-2014, 08:05
I've used white vinegar on a Q-tip to clean it up. It seems to slow the process.

John Sukey
09-13-2014, 10:01
It's a BIG problem.

Agree, the Titanic sank after hitting an iceberg in 1911:icon_lol:

emmagee1917
09-13-2014, 01:32
Ok , tannic acid then .
" Tis a poor man indeed , who can afford to spell a word only one way . "
Chris

madsenshooter
09-13-2014, 03:35
I've used white vinegar on a Q-tip to clean it up. It seems to slow the process.

According to this, one would think vinegar would accelerate the formation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdigris

Art
09-13-2014, 04:16
Bicarbonate of soda and water was recommended to me years ago. I've found it to work very well.

jdsal
09-13-2014, 04:59
Thank you for all your input! Learn something new everyday, verdigris!

PKelly
09-16-2014, 09:27
One of the best products I've found is Renaissance Wax. It was developed in the museum community for conservation purposes. It's original use was for the preservation of wooden antiques and I've found it to work well on rifle stocks. It also works well on metal, leather and just about anything else. I collect medieval edged weapons and that was my initial use for it, but I've found it to be excellent on stocks as well as leather slings. Use it to treat your sling and verdigris won't be a problem.

Dollar Bill
09-16-2014, 12:42
Verdigris can form on any copper alloy. I've cleaned it off of some web gear lately. Acetic acids will clean it off but will also promote new formation. The baking soda idea works good. After I cleaned the web gear, a drop of Kroil or other good oil on the metal will hold off futher verdigris for some time. I like the wax idea. It should work great on the sling frogs but I can't see getting it under the edge of snaps without making a mess. Have to try that one out and see.

PKelly
09-16-2014, 03:01
Verdigris can form on any copper alloy. I've cleaned it off of some web gear lately. Acetic acids will clean it off but will also promote new formation. The baking soda idea works good. After I cleaned the web gear, a drop of Kroil or other good oil on the metal will hold off futher verdigris for some time. I like the wax idea. It should work great on the sling frogs but I can't see getting it under the edge of snaps without making a mess. Have to try that one out and see.

One thing to remember about Renaissance Wax is a little goes a long way. If you're using enough to goop up snaps and such, you're using too much.

Johnny P
09-16-2014, 04:37
Since it forms on leather where the copper alloy and leather are in contact, how do you apply the Renaissance Wax to all these areas? One of the hardest places to clean is the loop on the short end of the Model 1907 sling, as it sometimes just fills this area up, and will even push the leather up through the stitching.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2vx12pv.jpg

PKelly
09-17-2014, 05:51
I think you might try dabbing some in there with a Q-tip.

Johnny P
09-17-2014, 11:00
There seems to be a misunderstanding of where the verdigris forms on items like holsters and slings. The verdigris forms where the leather and brass/copper are in direct contact. As the verdigris forms it is pushed out by the new growth. There is no way to dab anything where the growth is actually taking place. You can take a toothpick and clean that which has been pushed out, but no way to get where it grows. You can see the verdigris in the hole where the rivet was pushed out.

Another photo of a sling that has had one of the rivets pushed out by the growth of the verdigris.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2qdn5oo.jpg

PKelly
09-17-2014, 02:01
A good point Johnny and one I assumed was self evident enough not to need mentioning. No, you're never going to stop verdigris where it lives, so to speak.