PDA

View Full Version : anybody see in srs

GasTrapsForMe
09-11-2014, 06:45
Has anybody with the srs books noticed any serial numbers related to the state of montana? I don't have numbers to truly look up. Just wondering if anyone has noticed any well they were going through their books. Thank you for any help. Kevin

Dick Hosmer
09-11-2014, 06:46
I haven't specicifically looked, nor do I recall an example, but I would be amazed if there were not at least some listings. I can look, but it won't be today or tomorrow.

Major Tom
09-12-2014, 03:27
Speaking aout the SRS books: can a private owner of said books make copies to be given/sold to other private individuals? So many requests for serial numbers would make it alot more convieniet to many people. Just curious.

Dick Hosmer
09-12-2014, 07:32
Opening disclamer: I am NOT a lawyer.

You have raised an interesting point, however, as the data contained in the books is, AFAIK, all in the public domain. The format, and presentation of same, is, however, the intellectual property of SRS.

I have always believed that quoting excerpts in one's own words would be acceptable, but I am certain that verbatim reproduction, as in photocopying, would definitely be protected by the SRS copyright - which is clearly stated in each volume. While a couple of lines given freely would probably not be worth prosecution, reproducing (and especially selling) an entire volume would (and should!) be illegal.

My publisher and I will soon be involved in a "test", so to speak, of one nuance of this issue. I plan to include, in their respective chapters, lists of serial numbers only of certain trapdoor models, some of which were found in the SRS books, which of course are credited, along with many other secondary references, in the extensive bibliography. The water is further muddied by the fact that - in the 1873 Carbine chapter particularly - many of the numbers can be found in multiple sources, so there is no SRS exclusivity.

Speaking of convenience - the numbers used to be online, hosted for free by a generous dealer in Utah, John Spangler. For some reason, at some time after the death of Frank Mallory, the present owner of SRS, Wayne Gagner, decided to terminate the agreement, and hold the information close to his vest. From a business standpoint, I have never been able to understand that decision. He had free advertising for the furnishing of authentication letters - a major source of income to SRS, now that the books are out of print, and potential customers had an "index" which told them whether or not there was more data to be had on any given number.

It is no secret that Wayne and I do not enjoy a warm and fuzzy relationship - but I have never questioned his protecting, and charging for, the backup data which was obtained by blood, sweat, tears, and no small amount of time and money.

My $.02 only - others may have differing views.

Johnny P
09-23-2014, 07:53
Some of the serial numbers of 1911A1 pistols appeared in other publications before they appeared in the SRS books and CD. The original source would have been from Colt Firearm's records, and so it goes. I don't know how far format would extend in copyrighting material originally published by others.

Dick Hosmer
09-23-2014, 09:35
My belief is that one cannot "copyright" simple numbers.

It is common knowledge that .45 caliber trapdoors (to use just one example) start at 1 and run to around 570,000. Therefore, any number noted within that range is already "known", and its' existance cannot be claimed exclusively by SRS.

It would be much different to reveal (without crediting SRS) that carbine 56789 was carried by Private Billy Bob Bumfiddle, a trooper with the 18th Cavalry at the battle of Buzzard's Creek, on August 10, 1882. That is where the real value lies, and the hard work done to dig out the information should be paid for, and handsomely.