PDA

View Full Version : Winchester m1897 trench gun on gunbroker???

BOB IN AZ
09-05-2014, 09:51
Can someone who is way more knowing about the above subject, please look at the trench gun on Gun Broker and confirm what I believe is a WW1 re-done for WW2. I was looking at pictures
GUN BROKER # 438318910

14...a serif (P) on top of the barrel ( will this explain a WW2 rework )???
15... a faint interlocking WP on top of receiver
16... ( WB ) on stock
18... ventilated HG with 4 rows of holes
22... no marking on bayonet adapter

Or is this just a WW1 makeover with WW2 accessories???

BOB

SPEEDGUNNER
09-06-2014, 06:19
Buy the gun, not the story. Seller has skillfully worded his description to paint a picture of something that isn't necessarily what he says it is. It may be, but most likely is not.

BOB IN AZ
09-06-2014, 07:26
I was somewhat suspect, but don't know enough about the subject, especially when it doesn't jive with what is written in my only source on the subject ( Canfield's 2nd book ). I understand that the book is not the end all on the subject. thanks again BOB

Tom Doniphon
09-06-2014, 09:06
It's a WW1 receiver with a WW2 buttstock and bayo adaptor/heat shield. The serif P in the oval is Winchester's mark for mail order barrels. Some claim that when they barrel also has the Winchester WP proof it means it was installed at the factory. But I can't remember if I have ever seen a Winchester barrel with only the serif P in an oval.

I would think if the shotgun was overhauled at an arsenal it would have a rebuild mark on it.