PDA

View Full Version : Help on this remington M11 military finish

andy_ita
09-05-2014, 01:33
Greetings from italy guys
I need help on a remington m11 i want to buy. I will waiting pics. But as described, the rifle have a blued not engraved receiver, military finish stamped, us flamming bomb on barrel and receiver, fja and crossed cannon on stock and some other smAll proof mark.
The serial number of the receiver is 499642 and the barrel have serial 499436
And there is a prof mark DMM
It is normal that the barrel mismatch the receiver???
Thanks
Andy

andy_ita
09-05-2014, 03:28
The bolt is marked model 11 and the barrel is a 25 or 26 inches lenght

da gimp
09-05-2014, 07:55
what choke andy? The guys will want to know... those serial #'s are close............Good to hear from you again, wish you'd get into M1 Carbine parts/barrels (grins).

andy_ita
09-05-2014, 08:20
I wish to be in the market too. But ebay and gunbroker changed theyr rules and for me its a big problem to sale in usa.

The barrel is a imp. cyl
The serials numbers are close but... Should not be exactly the same?

emmagee1917
09-05-2014, 09:18
Yes , they should match . As a collector gun this would be a big hit to the value . As a shooter , you would need to have the headspacing checked . If good , it can be shot . If bad , there is no way to adjust it other than switching barrels and / or bolts till it checks good . Fine if you have access to a bunch of parts , real expensive real quick if you don't .
Chris

andy_ita
09-05-2014, 10:24
Well on this kind of weapons, im a collector. No heAd space is not a problem. I have to check if the stocn have the arsenal repair proof

da gimp
09-06-2014, 07:33
even if it does or doesn't............. the fact that the only way I know is to try a round & see how she does...........the repair cartouche could be for something else that you can't see.... i.e. broken sear that was replaced......... If any of our local smiths have head space gauges for shotguns, I'd be surprised.

slumlord44
09-14-2014, 08:27
Miss matched #'s usually indicate that the gun was re worked at some time, possibly by the military. They only cared it the parts fit. The fact that it is an imp. cyl. not cyl. is a problem. To my knowledge the military ones were all cyl. I have one that is 98% with the exception of an added recoil pad is cyl. I have a Winchester Model 12 military marked riot gun that was arsenal re built by the military. It has been parkerized and the serial #'s also do not match. It is marked cyl.

jgaynor
09-14-2014, 10:34
The US military purchased Model 11's in at least three variants. Trap Guns with 30" full choke barrels. Skeet Guns with 26" Improved cylinder barrels. Riot guns with 20" Cylinder bored barrels.
Sounds like you have a Skeet Gun. Trap and Skeet guns were acquired mainly to train aerial and aircraft gunners in leading targets. In time some may have found there way into base recreation equipment stores.
The "DMM" mark is a commercial Remington stamp indicating that the barrel at least was made in September (D) of 1943 (MM).

Jay Johnson
09-15-2014, 11:44
Butt stocks on Mod. 11's will be marked with the receiver's serial number under the lower tang behind the trigger guard.

Johnny P
09-19-2014, 10:46
If the bolt will not lock up you have a headspace problem; otherwise you are OK as shotguns headspace on the rim like a .22.