PDA

View Full Version : Garand & M1A- New stocks

SC Mike
09-04-2014, 09:36
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/seca750/Photo%20Dump/Gar-M1A.jpg

I'm not trying to compete w/ DGR but I think that these wood refinish jobs speak for themselves.
The Garand on top is my Match piece in .308. I had a 15+ year old Boyd's 4X4 originally on it and it just looked too "meaty & fat". I wanted more of a pre-war svelte shape. I got one of Dupage's unfinished buttstocks. I just asked him to pick out a nice piece of wood. Boy, did they come through! The grain is striking and I love the definition and contrast. However, it was still too beefy for me and it had a thick grip area as well as a flat spot on the face of the grip curve. Called up Dupage and told him that I did not consider it to be what he was advertising, a slim stock. Also told him that shape-wise it was a minor improvement over what i originally had. Initially, he tore me a new one then calmed down. He said that it was a special shape config for him via Boyd's. It was his "Baby". I just described the situation to him and asked him if I might have a problem child (besides the grain). He calmed down and said "no" but he wanted customer satisfaction. He offered to either exchange it or refund the purchase upon return. I told him no, I would work w/ what I had. The conversation ended cordially. I thinned out the stock where I wanted as well as both hand guards. Then I refinished w/ a 50/50 BLO/ Pure gum Turpentine mix w/ a dash of Japan Drier. Finished up w/ 0000 Steel wool and Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen and conditioner. I could not be more pleased!

The M1A had a nice GI walnut stock on it since '92 but the selector cut-out always bothered me. I picked up a Fulton Armory standard grade stock in Lightweight Military configuration. It also is a Boyd's re-work for FA. The grain is not as nice as the Garand but it's really not bad- just a little plain. Used the same finish technique and now I can die happy.

If anyone wants the details on how I applied the finish I would be glad to share. Comments welcome.

p246
09-04-2014, 12:54
Both ended up looking good. I actually like the grain in the M1A stock, it just turned real plain as it moves forward.

M1Riflenut
09-04-2014, 05:52
Lookin good!