PDA

View Full Version : PO Ackley's manual

Dolt
09-03-2014, 07:22
I have now scanned PO Ackley's "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders" As you may know, this volume has in depth testing of military actions and Mr. Ackley's evaluations of them. The PDF file is 14 meg. Can someone tell me what I can do to create a link to this pdf so that all of you galoots can enjoy this information? I'm kind of technically challenged in the area of computers (and most other things in life as well). Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

raymeketa
09-03-2014, 08:54
This is just my very own, ignorant farm-boy, opinion, but the Ackley volumes are still being sold. Is it kosher to offer an on-line version??

Just ask in'

Ray

Dolt
09-03-2014, 09:28
Good question, I would not be selling it, but making it available for reference with proper attribution. Also, I can find no copyright information in the manual.

raymeketa
09-03-2014, 10:54
I believe the "Strength Of Military Actions" is in Vol II which is Copyright 1966. But, maybe you are reproducing a different version of the manual? Again, I'm not passing judgement, I'm just saying.

Ray

Dolt
09-03-2014, 01:23
I appreciate the input. This volume has a yellow cover and is bound with a spiral plastic spine. It has absolutely no publisher info, printing info or copyright info. I have never seen this one before. The font is old fashioned "pica" type like typewriters used back in the 60's. Just to be safe I will hold off until we can get a solid determination. The info on old military actions is fascinating and I thought it would be great to share.

JohnMOhio
09-07-2014, 07:37
Dolt, I don't know what the original published binding looked like but from what you describe on your copy, it just might be a "knock off" that you have.

John

raymeketa
09-09-2014, 09:16
This poses an interesting question from you copyright lawyers out there. If you copy a knock off do you violate the copyright protection of the original document?

Dolt
09-17-2014, 10:42
The interesting thing is that this copy belonged to a man who was a personal friend of Ackley's. So who knows?

Dollar Bill
09-17-2014, 12:55
Just my $0.02

The copy selling on Amazon has a 2013 copyright date so I think it's still technically owned by someone.

I'm the kind of guy who would dearly like to read it (just finished Sharpe's books last year) and treasure the little gems you still find in these books, I'd be wary of distributing it. Other shooting-related websites have been sued over this kind of thing.

Your intentions are good and I, personally, appreciate your efforts to share the knowledge!