PDA

View Full Version : AP Corrosive?

bruce
09-01-2014, 05:54
One of my church members came over just as happy as could be. He'd just bought a nice M-1 that looks like a very nice arsenal rebuild... SA 2.6 receiver w/ good looking 52 or 53 barrel. Nice rebuild stock, tight w/ fiberglass added to improve lockup which was wonderful. He got about half a can of LC M-2 AP dated 54. He wants to shoot it though his rifle but is not sure if the ammo is corrosive. Any idea where to go for an answer? Sincerely. bruce.

WHG
09-01-2014, 08:40
While the decision to go entirely to non-corrosive primers was made in August of 1949, and was scheduled to be totally implemented by the beginning of 1950, the actual changeover took longer than expected. Type: .30-’06 AP Lot Number: 13158
Date: April 1952 was the first non-corrosive lot of AP ammo produced by Lake City (LC). Any LC ammo dated LC 53 or newer should be non-corrosive.

PhillipM
09-01-2014, 11:16
I'll swap him a full can of greek for it and think I'm coming out on the top end of the deal, if that tells you anything about the price of USGI AP.

joem
09-02-2014, 04:43
I have two spam cans of STL43 AP. Maybe for sale in a couple of years.

raymeketa
09-02-2014, 08:26
It's what WHG said.

There are charts available that give the cut off dates for corrosive/non corrosive cartridges. But, you will need the lot number of the ammunition. Otherwise, the best you can do is a year.

For Cal .30 AP M2 manufactured by Lake City Ordnance Plant, the cut off is lot 13158, April 1952.

Now, having said that, you do know that millions of corrosive cartridges have been fired through the millions of rifles, pistols, and MGs over the years. You simply clean the firearm afterwards.

Ray

bruce
09-04-2014, 06:34
Very thankful for all the helpful information provided. In my current pastoral assignment I serve four rural churches. This gentleman who bought this rifle and ammunition is a member of one of my churches. He served in the Navy and then worked at NASA in some sort of maintenance role. He and I have talked a number of times about rifles in general and specifically about the 1903/03-A3 and M-1 Garand rifles. He found a very nice arsenal rebuild that he bought. He was concerned that the ammunition might be corrosive and possibly damage the rifle if he shot it. I explained to him about normal cleaning methods to use following the firing of corrosive ammunition. This settled him down as to concerns about a possible problem. However I had promised him I would try to find out what the cut-off dates were for LC M-2 AP corrosive ammo and the beginning date for non-corrosive LC M-2 AP. I think he will be very pleased as his ammo is all headstamped LC 54. Sincerely. bruce.

da gimp
09-06-2014, 07:29
Cleaning Garands & bolt rifles,1903's, 1917's after firing corrosive ammo is a pretty straight forward deal......... please tell him to NEVER use any M1 Carbine ammo that could be corrosive if he picks up a decent old carbine.......... as far as I know.. ALL USGI .30 carbine ammo is non corrosive........ but the kicker is that (if memory serves me right) the Chinese made some with a LC style head stamp that is corrosive.

Tuna
09-06-2014, 08:04
LC 52 was the head stamp that is on the fake Chinese ammo. Gold colored primers is a warning on LC-52. Pull a bullet and look for the two very small Berdan flash holes. Cardboard box rubber stamped with 7.62 mm is a major warning that it's the fake ammo. Also beware of French .30 carbine as some of it is also corrosive primed. Best not to use any French ammo at all including their 30-06. All US made carbine ammo is non corrosive and has been from the start.

bruce
09-06-2014, 10:53
Took a look at the rounds he left for me to examine. Except for the date, all are identical to USGI LC rounds that I know to be genuine. AFAIK, he only owns the M-1 Garand. Was not aware of the bogus chinese .30 Carbine ammo. Will most certainly keep it in mind as hopefully one day I will own a decent M-1 Carbine. Sincerely. bruce.