PDA

View Full Version : No 1 Mark 111 BSA 1909

RCS
09-01-2014, 07:21
My question, is it possible to date the time period of the import stamps, they appear to be London proofs. They were tastefully stamped under the rear handguard . This rifle still has the volley sights and the bore is very nice. There are some mis-matched parts

Father Ted
09-01-2014, 08:40
I didn't see any import markings, just the proofs in their typical location. Nice rifle with original barrel. Is that a punch mark or marking stamped over first numbers on receiver or possible battle damage?
Cheers

RCS
09-01-2014, 08:58
Here are some additional photos of the rifle, I still think those are import stamps ? under the rear handguard

John Sukey
09-01-2014, 09:48
They are NOT import stamps. Any rifle sold out of service to the public MUST undergo re-proofing at the London proof house even though it was on a army rifle range the day before.

RCS
09-01-2014, 09:54
I agree with you, the re-proofing was done at the London proof house, than the rifle was imported into the USA, but my original question: is it possible to determine the year of the London proof house stamp ?

Alan De Enfield
09-05-2014, 01:24
You cannot accurately use them to identify a year- the proof marks cover several years

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t219/Alan_de_Enfield/IMG_0088_zps1c5f43f6.jpg

The majority of the marks you are looking at are 'inspectors' marks, made during manufacture.

The only Proof mark is the Seax (armored arm with a sword) over NP and then the calibre (303 & 2.22") and the pressure (18 tons)

There is no 'import' marks shown.

Sunray
09-07-2014, 10:20
"... Any rifle sold out of service to the public..." Any milsurp rifle sold through England MUST be proofed. Nothing to do with U.S. import rules.
Never seen anything about a date related to Brit milsurp proof marks.

Alan De Enfield
09-07-2014, 12:00
"... Any rifle sold out of service to the public..." Any milsurp rifle sold through England MUST be proofed. .

Any firearm, or pressure bearing part of a firearm, sold in the Uk, in the civilian market must be prooved before sale.
It is quite legal to own a non-prooved firearm in the UK, but you cannot sell it, you can give it away, but you cannot sell it.

Any firearm disposed of by the military can either be :

a) Sold to the UK civilian market in which case they must be prooved.
b) Sold to a foreign government in which case they are not prooved
c) Sold to a 'foreign' firearms dealer, in a country where there is no requirement to proof firearms, and the firearms are held in a bonded store until shipping - in which case they would not be prooved.

The statement ..." Any milsurp rifle sold through England MUST be proofed" is incorrect

An extract of the relevant UK laws :

24.3 The proving of firearms is governed by the Gun Barrel Proof Acts of 1868, 1950 and 1978
(However, note that much of the 1950 Act was repealed in 1996 by SI 1996/1576).
Under these Acts it is:

(a) an offence to sell, exchange, expose or keep for sale, or to pawn or pledge, or attempt
to pawn or pledge, or to take in pawn or pledge, an arm, the barrels of which are not
duly proved and marked as proved (section 108 and 109 of the 1868 Act);

(b) an offence to import into the United Kingdom small arms, the barrels of which are not
duly proved and marked as proved, without giving notice in writing within seven days
to either the London or Birmingham Proof House or to send such imported arms,
within twenty-eight days of their arrival in the United Kingdom, to be proved at either
the London or Birmingham Proof House (Section 122 of the 1868 Act).

This does not apply to any small arm imported by any person for their own personal use
whilst it is in their possession.

smac61
09-07-2014, 06:12
Am I the only one drooling over those volley sights? ;)