PDA

View Full Version : WWII U.S.Navy MKII Sextant

SloopJohnB
08-25-2014, 01:47
****Price Reduced****

A little off the beaten path perhaps, but a collectible for the Military collector.

US NAVY MARINE SEXTANT - DAVID WHITE & CO MARK 2
Available for sale is an exceptionally nice WWII U.S. Navy sextant. This is a “U.S. Navy, BU NAV., MKII, serial # 1332-1940”, made by the David White Co.. Milwaukee, Wis.
I’m not very knowledgeable on these, but according to several collectors and a prominent dealer in MA. Here’s the information I can provide on this item:

*Sextant made by the firm of David White & Co 1942.
*A brass ladder frame sextant with a black finish.
*Complete with two mirrors, four sun, three horizon filters/glasses and a large adjustable telescope.
*Scale division from -5° to 145°, angle measurement up to 145°.
*The carrying case and the sextant have matching numbers #1332-40.
In the case:
*Telescope w/white coated optics
*Screw driver
*Adjusting pin for the mirrors
*Comes with certificate of inspection by the U.S. Naval Observatory, Washington D.C. dated 5/12/1942
*Instrument and case are fully original.
*The instrument is in excellent condition.
Size of the case:
*Length 29 cm. (11.5 inches)
*Width 29 cm. (11.5 inches)
*Height 14 cm. (± 5.5 inches)

This sextant comes with the original, matching numbers case and a certificate of inspection from the U.S. Naval Observatory dated 1942. Overall, I would describe this as very good - excellent condition, with the filters and mirrors looking nearly new. Also included is a case containing what I'm told are "star charts", and marked "No. 2102-D Star Finder and Identifier, U.S. Navy Hydrographic Office".

Given the completeness and excellent overall condition of this sextant, it will make a very nice and somewhat rare collectible for someone out there. Please feel free to email me with any questions or additional photos you might need.

Reduced to $395.00 + Priority Mail shipping, and insurance if you desire.

SloopJohnB
08-30-2014, 03:17
Bump

****Price Reduction****

SloopJohnB
09-12-2014, 02:36
***BTT***