PDA

View Full Version : McCoy Garands For Sale On GB

Jay Johnson
08-24-2014, 09:38
I have a few of Mac's Garands including a rear lugged one, I don't need anymore. I am not affiliated with these auctions in any way.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=436925798

Here's another one but it's not as nice and isn't papered,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=436408399

joem
08-25-2014, 05:32
A little too rich for me but I really like it!

Roadkingtrax
08-25-2014, 09:03
Don's rifles stand out. Paperwork isnt needed.

They do come up from time to time.

StockDoc
08-26-2014, 08:40
One was shot only 211 times in 17 years. I wonder why?

BHillman
08-30-2014, 11:53
I haven't shot mine since I retired in '89. Roadkingtrax is right. They stand alone. The Parkerizing (well, more of a crinkle finish), the stock finish, and the engraving on the parts - all distinct and done by Don. When he built mine, there were no stickers or papers establishing provenance. It's nice to have but if you know his work...

I bought 2 in the late 70s/early 80s with British proofs, asked him if he'd build one for me and keep one for himself. The deal was made. Mine cost me $400 in trade. What a nice man he was and I do miss talking with him occasionally.

Bruce

Rick B
08-31-2014, 06:57
I get a kick out of how Macs stuff is idolized. He was the parts king and many many many of his rifles were put together. One of his relatives was stealing his parts and selling them on Ebay for awhile. He had rifles and they should not be looked at as originals unless plenty of research is done. Rick B

jd:^)
08-31-2014, 09:17
I get a kick out of how Macs stuff is idolized. He was the parts king and many many many of his rifles were put together. One of his relatives was stealing his parts and selling them on Ebay for awhile. He had rifles and they should not be looked at as originals unless plenty of research is done. Rick B

Having spent many a Saturday morning in his garage-watching him work someone else's rifle or one of mine, I don't think his "forte" was ever focused on originality. Pedigree and appearance were secondary at best-form, fit, and function were where his legacy was earned. He did at times, try to keep "original" units original at customer requests, and those that he knew to have pedigree he would endeavor to counsel the owner out of match tuning that unit, and offer an alternative.

Ron H.
08-31-2014, 01:55
$2850, huh? Good to know if I ever have to sell mine. :eek:

And yes, Mac's forte was match rifles, not collectors' items. The best high power score I ever shot was with a McCoy .308, and that was after campaigning a Holliger AR for three years.

Hope this helps, and Semper Fi.

Ron H.

StockDoc
09-01-2014, 10:52
I have seen one at a Gun show that was for sale. It was a very nicely built rifle of course the owner would not let anyone touch. Especially like the finish on the stock.

BHillman
09-10-2014, 02:52
His rifles were made to compete...rain or shine.
Bruce

Rick B
09-15-2014, 02:45
I have to apologize as I mixed his name up. Once I finally got a moment to look back at the thread after I seen one of the other persons rifles come up for sale it hit me. Names are close but clearly Don is not whom I was thinking and I feel bad for stating his name. The other fella worked at CMP and took allot of parts over his time. Much of his stuff is put together and sells as if it was original. I think most know who I speak of but since his name was not brought up I will not toss it out there. I just wanted to make sure I apologized for a big mistake. Rick B