PDA

View Full Version : No4(T) value

twh
08-23-2014, 06:05
This may be a hard question to answer as I don't have any pictures because I am still considering the purchase but here goes. I found a No.4(T) for sale but I need to know if it is worth the asking price of $4,000. From what I have been able to research it was likely a less scope rifle that was eventually mated with the current scope upon its release from service. The rifle is a M47 Shirley dated 1944 in excellent shape with all the correct markings but with no scope number stamped on the flat behind the reciever. The Mk III scope is a C.T.&S in excellent shape with clear optics and comes with the case numbered to the scope but the case and bracket are numbered to a V prefix rifle. The transit case has a Wheddon designation stenciled on it and is complete and in good shape and it also has a 1940 dated manual. I offered $3,600 but he is firm at $4,000 and I have always wanted one but that's a lot of money. Any thoughts would be a appreciated.

p246
08-24-2014, 03:19
Without pics I'll guess. Based on seeing several sell now (after finding a non scoped rifle myself), watching what the original scopes/mount/transit boxes sell for $4000.00 is fair as long as all the mix matched parts are not reproductions. Also the gun needs to be right and not beat up say 60% or better/shotout etc. I'd what assurances in writing or have the 100% confidence the scope/mount is legit-that's where most of the money is at as you probably already know.

twh
08-24-2014, 07:03
Thanks for the input and that sort of mirrors my concern in that we are talking about a lot of money if something is off. I believe that the parts are originals but based on the numbers the scope and bracket originally were issued with another rifle. The rifle itself is in probably 85%-90% unrebuilt condition and is one of the nicest I have seen. At this point in my collecting this is one of those bucket list kind of things where I have to balance want with need.

p246
08-24-2014, 09:55
I've watched a couple sell in the low 4000.00 dollar range with non matching scope/base. The last matched one with transit case sold much higher than that. Your not far apart. Will he let you post pics so you can get second/third opinions.

Also forgot to ask does the knobs turn freely on the scope. I found one locally for sale but they were froze. The purchase price he wanted coupled with potential repairs and only a couple guys doing it killed the deal.

John Sukey
08-24-2014, 04:37
Frozen knobs. The internals were greased. After over 50 years the grease got hard. Trying to move the knobs can break things internaly unless the scopes are overhauled. There is one person in Canada and one in the U.K. capable of doing that though I don't know if they are still in business