PDA

View Full Version : Early high arch breech blocks

mr.j
08-21-2014, 05:28
I am not sure where i saw this but I have seen pictures of a possible third type early breech block with eagle and crossed arrows. As I looked at the three early breech blocks I have I noticed all three are diffrent. One has the thin firing pin wall and shallow curve on side, other has the thick wall and deep curve and same font as first one mentioned, third has thick wall deep curve on side but the font looks diffrent and has thicker corners on top, no inspection letter stamped as the other two have them.

Dick Hosmer
08-21-2014, 06:43
That's very interesting, though it is going to be tough to debate or critique without pictures. Try very hard to remember where you saw it, please.

There are minor dimensional differences due to the machining process, of course - but it sounds like you believe you are on the trail of something more than that. Then there is the Model 1870 block, and the very late high-arch with revised inscription (US / Model / 1873). And, not all blocks have an inspection letter; many are blank, and a few have been found with matching two-digit numbers stamped on block arch and bottom of receiver.

One thing that absolutely blew me away was when I was casually discussing block profiles with Al Frasca (author of the two wonderful trapdoor books) about three years ago, and it came out that he was unaware of the difference in the side scallop milling. This profile was a carry-over from the .50-70 blocks and seems to run until about 30,000 in the Model 1873 arms. I had thought that was common knowledge.

mr.j
08-21-2014, 10:03
I cant remember where i saw this it was this week somtime my mind is not all there, I thought is was from this site and hoped someone popped up and said (hey it was me) but i think you would of recalled that. Im starting to believe it was a vision i had in a dream lol. If someone else saw this same picture and forum please let me know so i dont feel like a crazy man. I would love to add pictures of my three blocks but cant figure how to now, I did add pics before though. This vision is what made me look at my blocks in the first place and noticed all three were different :).

mr.j
08-21-2014, 10:46
Ok, I will send you the pics so you can post and i will explain the difference in each. Thanks.