PDA

View Full Version : New acquisition Type 99 Arisaka

jisii
08-20-2014, 03:20
I recently added a Type 99 Arisaka at a local auction. It seems to be in very nice condition but seems to be missing some bits and pieces, notably the monopod and aircraft sight wings. The bore is bright and shiney with strong rifling but I can't tell if it is chrome lined or not. I'm guessing the sling may be a repro. I'm curious how I did for $145.00. I have a collection of WW2 rifles and needed a Jap Arisaka to complete it. My Dad sent home two of them in 1945 but they ended up with other family members. I am very ignorant about Japanese rifles so any comments or input would be greatly appreciated.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad227/john_smith111/Type%2099%20Arisaka/Japtype99collage_zpseb62241e.jpg

Deano41
08-20-2014, 06:00
A close up of the left side of the receiver will show the series and arsenal. That will give the information on what would have been on the rifle when issued. The cleaning rod is missing, and the stock looks a bit light. Possibly stripped and refinished.
Still, $145 is a good price.
The rifles were "matched" by the last three numbers of the serial number, on the bolt and bayonet lug. The pictures aren't close enough for me to see if the "Mum" is still on top of the receiver.

jisii
08-20-2014, 07:10
There is a very small grind mark where the mum was removed. I wish it were not so.

psteinmayer
08-21-2014, 05:31
Also seems to be missing a screw in the front band. If the bore is shiny, it's most likely chrome... it has the early "plum-shaped" bolt handle, higher front sight wings, and AA rear sight (missing the wings). It's pretty nice looking. Reproduction Monopods and Action Dust Covers are available. The AA wings can be found also. Have you shot it yet? Ammo is available from Norma or Hornady. If you plan on reloading, brass is available from Graf and Sons or Midway. You'll load it with a .303 British bullet (yes, they used the same bullet).

I'll be shooting one of my T-99s in an upcoming CMP vintage match next month!

jisii
08-21-2014, 06:04
Here is a larger PIC of the left side of the receiver. I would really like to know where and approximately when it was made. I noted the missing screw and would like to find a replacement.http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad227/john_smith111/Type%2099%20Arisaka/100_4326_zps6220e713.jpg

Deano41
08-21-2014, 09:06
It was made at the Nagoya Arsenal. The key to the date is the series mark to the left of the serial number. (I can't make that out. This website will show the series marks. http://www.gunboards.com/sites/banzai/DataSheets/M99/M99Data.htm#Model_99)

The serial numbers are assigned, 1 to 100,000 to each series, and are repeated. So Nagoya would have made 13 rifles with the same serial number. The series is the key.

Is the bolt and front band (bayonet lug) matching?

Oh, and by the way, don't try an decock the bolt as you would a Mauser or a M1903, or your next question will be "My bolt is jammed, help". :>)

jisii
08-21-2014, 10:31
Thanks much for the info Dean. I will definitely not mess with the bolt. As I said, I'm not at all familiar with the Arisaka rifles. I would like to test fire it but have no ammo. I reload 303 Brit so bullets would not be an issue but I'm wondering if buying dies and brass would be worthwhile, particularly as I don't shoot as much as I used to: age and lack of breath are catching up with me.

Again, thanks for the help.

jisii
08-21-2014, 10:50
Incidentally, I forgot to mention the number check. Serial No. 15131. Front band is numbered 131 so it matches. Bolt is numbered 363 so its a mismatch. I'm guessing the mismatched bolt will affect value somewhat. I didn't pay a whole lot for it ($180.00) so it probably doesn't make much difference. Hopefully headspace is still OK.

dave
08-21-2014, 11:46
If you just want to 'try it out' buy a couple boxes of cartridges. Chrome bores almost always have a shiney ring around the bore when looking at the end of barrel. The stock is a definate refinish, as you will see if you remove it from stock. There are stains which will duplicate color, even tho originally colors vary. (I have experimented a lot along these lines) altho jap stocks usually have dents due to soft wood used. For 145 you can't/didn't go wrong!

jisii
08-21-2014, 12:04
Correction: (I got confused!) I did pay $145.00 for the Arisaka. The $180.00 was the price for a British SMLE that I bought at the same auction.

Deano41
08-21-2014, 01:34
I think you still did well, even with a sanded stock and mismatched bolt. Once you figure out what the series is (in the circle to the left of the serial number). We can guestimate the manufacture period and what features it should have had. Mismatched bolts are not uncommon on Japanese rifles, courtesy of the U.S. Navy making returning GIs taking them out of the rifle upon boarding the ship. Throwing them into a barrel, then handing them back at random upon return to the U.S.A.. (Most common accepted theory to mismatched bolts)
There has never been an official, documented explanation to the ground Mum, but a lot of theories on that too.

jisii
08-21-2014, 07:09
That symbol you mentioned is a circle with what looks like a parethesis and a back parenthesis pushed up in the circle. my camera isn't good enough to get a shot of it.

I sure wish I still had the ones my Dad sent home from Japan. He was one of the early occupatiom troops in th fall of 1945. He mentioned that an officer and an NCO wheeled two hand trucks with barrels of Jap rifles and swords into thier billet and told the troops to take what they wanted. Dad sent home two like new Type 99s, three swords plus a last ditch 99 thst I played war with for years as a kid. Sure wish I had them now.

Thanks again Dean for all the help.

Deano41
08-21-2014, 10:11
Based on the stock having a drain hole on the side by the receiver (there should be another drain hole on the bottom of the stock) this indicates an early rifle. Your description of the series mark indicates this might be a series three, made in the fourth quarter of 1942.

The angle of the splice in the butt stock is correct for that series and serial number (more trivia)

The bolt face should be chromed also. But since it was swapped out, who knows. The safety should be knurled, and the plum shaped bolt handle is correct.

Check your messages.

psteinmayer
08-22-2014, 05:19
Jisii, Sounds like you did excellent with this purchase! Dean is an excellent source of Jap knowledge too (he's sure helped me enough...).

As for ammo, a box of Norma 7.7 Jap (technically, the round is designated 7.7x58 mm) will get you started. The ammo is usually pretty steep price wise - upwards of $35 or more for a box of 20. If you plan on shooting it often, then dies are a good idea. You can get a set of Lee Pacesetter Dies from Midway or Cheaper Than Dirt for a reasonable price. If you do reload, here's a nickel's worth of advice: Arisakas have enormous throats, so don't be surprised to find your case necks expanded quite a bit after firing, requiring a lot of lube and force to resize. This is normal. I also use the Lee Factory Crimp Die (included with the Pacesetter set) to crimp my bullets... if I don't, I find the bullets to be loose in the necks - not loose enough to pull out by hand, but loose enough to spin the bullet in the case neck. If you buy Norma brass, make sure you anneal the case necks. The Privi brass comes already annealed. This will extend the life of your brass (because of the aforementioned neck issue). For my reloads, I load a Hornady 174 grain .303 bullet with 39.0 grains of IMR-4064 and a CCI-200 primer. This works well for me, and the 174 gr bullet is the normal Ball weight for Jap ammo.

Good luck, and let us know how she shoots!

Paul

CHW2021
09-02-2014, 04:47
Hornady ammo is out there also, not sure if it is a seasonal run or not. I was not aware of throat dimensions, nice to know.
I have a sportered M99 that is quite accurate, very pleased with it for $125.00, for $145 you did quite well on your purchase. I have a original WW2 rifle also and have not shot it , not for any reason other than I have not seemed to get around to it......kinda odd since I have had it for about 40 years.

psteinmayer
09-02-2014, 05:28
The Hornady ammo is pretty good stuff, and comes loaded with a 180 gr bullet. The brass used is the Privi brass, so it's annealed. I'm not sure if it's seasonal either, but it is hard to find on shelves. I found a few boxes at guns shows.

jisii
09-03-2014, 06:59
I have removed the metal from the stock and found the reddish brown color I expected, based on my memories of the rifles my Dad sent home many decades ago. I then stripped whatever finish was on the wood with a vigorous scrubbing with mineral spirits. After that, I tried some Chestnut Ridge "Military Stock Stain" and the resulting color matched the under-the-metal color perfectly. I believe it now looks pretty much as it should.

I have also determined that it is a Nagoya Series 3. I have ordered a replacement for the missing screw from Numrich gun parts but am still debating whether or not to add the replica monopod and look for the aircraft wings for the rear sight.

In any case, thanks again for the help in identification. I'm far from an expert but I now know a lot more about Arisakas than I did before.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad227/john_smith111/Type%2099%20Arisaka/Collage3_zps7446da0a.jpg

Deano41
09-03-2014, 10:12
Good job!

psteinmayer
09-04-2014, 06:00
Looks great! In my opinion, I would add the missing parts. Unless you are planning on showing it as a museum quality display piece, I don't think it would hurt the value having a repro monopod anymore than it would not having one at all. I would also add an action cover and the AA wings if you can find them. If you are in Michigan (or Ohio, Indiana, etc.), there is a Michigan Antique Arms Collector's (MAAC) show this weekend in Novi. There are usually a lot of Jap rifles and components at this show.

Paul

Also, I would get a cleaning rod if you can find one...

jisii
09-04-2014, 08:04
I forgot about the cleaning rod. I should have ordered it when I ordered the missing screw. Have to get one later.

louigi
09-05-2014, 02:46
Nice find! I have a Nagoya Series 3 also ( S/N 35K). I also got my parts at Numrich. Good shooting when you find some 7.7 ammo!

jisii
09-13-2014, 12:38
I found a box of Hornady 150 Gr. ammo at a local shop, last box they had for $29.99 + tax. Now to get to the range sometime next week.

psteinmayer
09-15-2014, 05:40
Let us know how she shoots...

Guamsst
09-18-2014, 10:58
A sportered Arisaka for $145 is a good deal. If it shoots, it usually has $300 in parts......

S.B.
07-05-2015, 05:56
Everything said, I think you did very well, congratulations on this find! I continue to scout around for just such a find but, no luck yet.
Steve

psteinmayer
07-05-2015, 06:04
If there are antique arms shows in your area Steve, you stand a good chance of finding an inexpensive Arisaka to get you started. At the Michigan Antique Arms Collectors shows, held in Novi four times a year, there are always several on hand for pretty good prices. The next show is Sept 19th and 20th.

S.B.
07-05-2015, 06:22
psteinmayer, I, unflrtunately, live in Illinois. Land of antigun people of Chicago. No such business' here.
Steve

dave
07-05-2015, 12:52
[QUOTE=Deano41;383986].

The angle of the splice in the butt stock is correct for that series and serial number (more trivia)

The angle of the splice is the same on all jap rifles. The grain on the lower part ran down ward at the angle of bottom of stock, so you did not have those short grained pieces on the toe that chipped so easily. The upper section had the grain runner straight back like the ret of the stock. Stock on jap rifles have been made this way since the late 1800's.

psteinmayer
07-05-2015, 03:12
I hear ya Steve. Well, Novi, MI might be a day trip for you if you plan it... Food for thought...

S.B.
07-05-2015, 03:50
Perhaps, thank you.
Steve

Deano41
07-06-2015, 10:08
[QUOTE=Deano41;383986].

The angle of the splice is the same on all jap rifles. The grain on the lower part ran down ward at the angle of bottom of stock, so you did not have those short grained pieces on the toe that chipped so easily. The upper section had the grain runner straight back like the ret of the stock. Stock on jap rifles have been made this way since the late 1800's.

Not being blessed with a good memory, I rely on books written by people more knowledgeable than I.
My statement on the difference in the splice in the buttstock is based on "The Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Rifle" by Don Voigt, pages 37 and 111, (2010 Edition). Those pages also include photographs of the two different examples.
On page 37, reference the Series three Type 99 Rifle,
"Stock: Pigmented urishi finished two piece butt stock. Type A with horizontal splice and drainage holes; changed to angle splice about midway through the series. Three screw upper band Type A. Lower band Type B with monopod."