PDA

View Full Version : Magnum Research Desert Eagle 44 mag

broom jockey
08-19-2014, 07:12
Looks to be an awesome pistol. Does anyone have hands-on experience with this pistol? I am curious about reloads thru it, ie: what type of bullets will or won't feed from magazine to chamber. I have a chance to buy a 'as new' with box and 2 magazines for $800. I thank you for all your pro and con opinions.

Sunray
08-19-2014, 10:51
You need hands like an orangutan, but they're quite pleasant to shoot if it fits your hand. Only shot one, long ago at Second Chance, that had been reduced in size by Cylinder and Slide. My trigger finger didn't come close to being in the right place.
No experience with hand loads for it, but it shouldn't be any different than any other pistol.

Major Tom
08-20-2014, 04:42
After doing some online research, I found several incidents of poor performance with certain factory 44mag ammo due to unrelieable feeding of certain bullet weights and shapes. Seems the pistol likes only jacketed flat points of 180 gr. weight. Ejected brass would most likely strike your forehead. Minor tuning of the magazine and extractor may help. $800 is a low price as most seem to sell north of $1000. Pistol is heavy at 72oz..

joem
08-20-2014, 04:55
If you buy it let us know how you like it. I have interest in that caliber but I really want a "44 automag".

WHG
08-20-2014, 01:11
I've had a Model XIX in 44 Magnum for 14 years. The original magazines when I first got it tended to have the first round hang-up. The newer magazines have the front edge cut lower and don't have that problem. I ground down my older ones to fix the problem. I also polished the feed ramp. I shoot 240 grain soft, hollow or flat point bullets with no feeding issues. Most of my shooting is with my reloads using 23 grains of Winchester 296 powder. Speer used to make a 240 grain total metal jacket bullet #4459 that was awsome in the Eagle, but they discontinued it. Most people have problems because they don't hold the gun firmly enough. Use both hands and you shouldn't have any problems.

Major Tom
08-21-2014, 07:17
The 44 automag is rated higher than the Desert Eagle.