PDA

View Full Version : WW1 Uniform Question

Dick Hosmer
08-17-2014, 06:36
Ran into something totally out of my area of expertise, and need some idea of value. Can take pics if needed. Found a blouse, trousers, leggings, and overseas cap from what has to be the WW1 period.

All items are khaki wool. Condition is what I would call very good, one very small tear, but generally moth free. It was wadded/rolled and would need a good ironing to be presentable.

Blouse is heavily padded around the shoulders, weighs much more than I expected, yet is for a small man. Has nothing on right sleeve, but left sleeve has one red chevron (PFC?) at upper arm, and two khaki chevrons at wrist. Unit patch is a large red arrow pointing up, with short bar at center.

Trousers lace at bottom of legs, and are reinforced at inner thighs. One legging has a cord at one end, the other does not.

Cap has a bronze disc at left front with M A over crossed rifles over G. (I could be wrong about the letters as I'm working from memory, will recheck)

What have I got?

Many thanks.

JBinIll
08-17-2014, 07:19
The Division patch,red arrow,is the 32nd Division.Red chevron that looks like a PFC stripe is a discharge stripe.The ones at the wrist are for overseas service,if I remember correctly two would indicate 12 months service.

Sure the disc on the cap isn't MG instead of MA?

Dick Hosmer
08-17-2014, 07:27
The Division patch,red arrow,is the 32nd Division.Red chevron that looks like a PFC stripe is a discharge stripe.The ones at the wrist are for overseas service,if I remember correctly two would indicate 12 months service.

Sure the disc on the cap isn't MG instead of MA?

Thanks JB. I did a little Googling after posting, and agree 100% about the patches. Definitely need to recheck the disc - it may well be M G over A. Will do that today. Did not find either, however, during my search.

JBinIll
08-17-2014, 08:02
MG over A would make more sense,Machine Gun Battalion Co.A.There were two MG battalions in the 32nd in WW1.Are there collar discs on the tunic?

Dick Hosmer
08-17-2014, 08:33
92nd or 32nd? Nope, no collar discs (first thing I looked for). Were all trousers reinforced? That used to be a sign of the cavalry, or any other mounted troops.

JBinIll
08-17-2014, 08:42
32nd,mis typed.All the trousers I've ever had of that vintage were re-enforced like that.

Dick Hosmer
08-17-2014, 08:54
Quite a prestigious history for that unit, at least according to Wikipedia. The grouping is part of an estate sale we are doing (sideline of our antique store) in northern CA, though apparently the men were from Michigan and Wisconsin.

Any idea of a ballpark value? If high, we'll likely sell it for our client, if not, I may buy it for display with my 1903 rifle. Thanks again.

JBinIll
08-17-2014, 01:22
I can't really give an honest value on it,I haven't collected in that area for some years.Checking the auction sites for similar sales is about as good as any.If you could put a name with it,it attracts more attention.Don't have a set of dog tags to go with it from the estate do ya?

Dick Hosmer
08-18-2014, 07:55
Dogtags? Not so far, anyhow. Nor a helmet. Can probably get an ID though. Still searching.

5MadFarmers
08-18-2014, 04:38
32nd was formed from the Michigan and Wisconsin NG. Each division had three MG battalions: one assigned to each brigade and one under division control. 63rd brigade was Michigan whereas 64th was Wisconsin.

Funny thing, and coincidence, that you mention cavalry and the trousers. WW1 divisions were huge. Much bigger units than prewar. The 64th brigade, having two regiments of infantry, ate the 4 Wisconsin pre-war regiments. Add the associated parts and it ate the fifth Wisconsin infantry regiment and associated units. Generically for the NG->WW1 divisions that held true. They fed the State infantry regiments into the new ones. So where did the MG battalion men typically come from?

The State Cavalry units.

JBinIll
08-18-2014, 05:16
32nd was formed from the Michigan and Wisconsin NG. Each division had three MG battalions: one assigned to each brigade and one under division control. 63rd brigade was Michigan whereas 64th was Wisconsin.

Funny thing, and coincidence, that you mention cavalry and the trousers. WW1 divisions were huge. Much bigger units than prewar. The 64th brigade, having two regiments of infantry, ate the 4 Wisconsin pre-war regiments. Add the associated parts and it ate the fifth Wisconsin infantry regiment and associated units. Generically for the NG->WW1 divisions that held true. They fed the State infantry regiments into the new ones. So where did the MG battalion men typically come from?

The State Cavalry units.

Sometimes,not always-

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p529/OldGussie/32nd/Scan50.jpeg

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p529/OldGussie/32nd/Scan51.jpeg

John Sukey
08-19-2014, 04:31
If the blouse was heavily padded on the shoulders it would make sense for a machine gun unit. Carrying the gun or the tripod on your shoulder.

5MadFarmers
08-20-2014, 05:06
Sometimes,not always-

Yup, an exception. Typically that's where they came from.