PDA

View Full Version : model 12 at Pawn shop..barrel markings I never saw before. .take a look.

razors edge
08-13-2014, 06:25
Serial #101354...barrel says "cyl" and "43" at bottom..no heat shield...I'm curious as to the 3rd barrel stamp; appears to be a serif "p" can't find it in the books..can anyone tell me why it's there and is it a real trench shotgun...thx

da gimp
08-13-2014, 08:18
looks awful awful pretty to be a 1943 mod 12 trench..............

razors edge
08-13-2014, 08:22
Yes..it ain't cheap neither..

da gimp
08-14-2014, 05:54
get your credit card out & call the Winchester museum records at the Cody Center in Wyoming........... since this is a Winchester mod 12........ the records should be there....... on if it's a true trench/ or riot or sporter............

Tom Doniphon
08-18-2014, 08:52
P in an oval is the mark Winchester used on mail order replacement barrels. Once in a while it is also found with the Winchester proof mark like on the subject barrel. But the Ordnance bomb may not be the real deal.

da gimp
08-19-2014, 07:35
get the serial number & call Cody.......... before you pay out some very hefty money for this...............and even then, it might not tell you if it is a riot or a trench....... but if it was sold to Joe Blow's Machine shop or security at Union Pacific Rail Road, or any one of 10,000 other munitions plants/electrical plants/bridges etc etc etc it would not be wearing the US marking or the bombs.........

Tom Doniphon
08-19-2014, 02:55
Other than the Winchester polishing room serialization records, I don't think Cody has shipping info on Model 12 shotguns as late as this one. It is, however, in the proper serial number range for a WW2 trench.

da gimp
08-22-2014, 11:17
Winchester did have records....... but it might only tell you that it was shipped to a US military depot ,a railroad....... or an essential manufacturing plant (war production).............. my understanding is that some do not say if it's a trench, riot or sporting model. At one time, most if not all rail bridges over the major rivers were guarded... and all those plants producing trucks, jeeps, tanks, planes, ammo, clothes, any USGI gear were heavily guarded too..........by guys carrying shotguns, rifles, pistols, Reisings etc etc etc...... & a lot of those shotguns/rifles & handguns are in very nice shape..... most have long since passed into private hands.