PDA

View Full Version : Good Looking Type 38

Art
08-13-2014, 04:44
I was visiting a buddy the other day and we stopped by his favorite hock shop. they had the nicest Type 38 long rifle I've ever seen, in fact it almost looked too good. It had what appeared to be 98%+ of the original finish and the stock had only the most minor blemishes. Everything was very tight, the gun wasn't even really "worked in." The only issues were corrosion on the butt plate and the mum was ground. They wanted a whopping $200.00. I don't have any interest in Japanese or German WWII relics but I almost made an exception for this one!!

Guamsst
08-13-2014, 05:49
Could be a repro stock. The issue there is, a repro stock is $200 by itself. What town was this in? I may be headed toward Houston soon.

Michaelp
08-14-2014, 02:50
There was still a lot of new or rebuilt 38s sitting in arsenals handed out as souvenirs.
Some went to closets and stayed there.
I have had a couple nice ones over the years.
The unused ones more common with ground mums.

Guamsst
08-14-2014, 10:41
I have seen a couple with really great stocks. I also saw a guy locally trying to sell one for $700 with one of the repro stocks on it. The repros are nearly perfect. Most people hate them because of the Cherry red stain used. That is a correct original color though.

Art
08-14-2014, 02:16
Could be a repro stock. The issue there is, a repro stock is $200 by itself. What town was this in? I may be headed toward Houston soon.

P.M. sent.

Deano41
08-16-2014, 11:03
If or when you take it apart, look in the barrel channel of the stock and handguard, and see if the "assembly number" or serial number is stamped in them. That will end the thought of the stock being a repro. Also, just for fun, check for matching numbers (last three of the serial, or an assembly number) on the front band and bolt parts. (There are other parts that will have the same numbers. Type 38 rifles are accurate and fun to shoot.
Nice find.