PDA

View Full Version : Smith Enterprises M1A receivers

broom jockey
08-13-2014, 04:25
Are these any good? I have never heard of them. Your comments appreciated, thank you.

Ernie
08-13-2014, 05:55
Only from what I have read, their customer service is poor. I have never dealth with them but about a year ago there were many negative posts. I like the new Rock Ola's from James River, and LRB has always been the gold standard but expensive.. Both Fulton and Springfield have lifetime warranties. I own all except Smith. If I was doing another build today I would choose a Rock Ola I suspect. Just my opinion, again with no personal experience with Smith other than what I have read.

gulliver62
08-13-2014, 07:15
According to Lee Emerson's books, the early Smith (pre-94) receivers were excellent quality. I would not hesitate to pick up one of those. I agree with Ernie and I just bought 2 of the Rock-ola receivers for next builds. Up to now, all of my M1A's have been Springfield. I would not hesitate to buy a Fulton as I have not heard anything negative about them. But, if you can wait for a sale and get a Rock-Ola forged for only $100 or so more do that (at least that was my reasoning). I will let you investigate all the comments around about the current Smith Ent and make your own judgements. Go over to M14tfl.com and you will have a lot of material to study.

StockDoc
08-13-2014, 07:26
I have built 3 Fultons, no probs on any of them. Smiths are forged*, which I feel is over doing it for the Civilian shooter

* my bad, yes they are Billet, still think that is over doing it. Investment cast is really quite good now a days. It not like the old Cast steel, that was prone to cracking.

bd1
08-14-2014, 02:26
Forged or cast (Smith made both) from the '80's are good. They were civilian highpower shooters' first choice.

nf1e
08-14-2014, 04:53
I own all the rest, but Smith's customer relations have kept me from even trying theirs. To the best of my knowledge, they are not forged, but machined from billets. James River and LRB are the only forged receivers on the market and both come highly recommended.

Jay Johnson
08-14-2014, 12:50
nf1e is correct, SEI's receivers are machined from billets, LRB and James River (RockOla) are currently the only two forged semi-auto M14 pattern receivers on the market.

James River has their barreled receiver with their bolt on sale currently for $995, pretty good deal when you start adding everything up http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/rockola-m-14/m14-22-inch-barreled-receivers-detail.html

nf1e
08-14-2014, 02:49
Just a note to the OP. The only producer of M1A rifles is Springfield Armory INC. It is their trademark. All others produce some variation of the M14 rifle, for what it is worth.

gulliver62
08-15-2014, 06:16
Jay, that is a good deal. Fitting of the barrel and the bolt as well as the parts. I don't own a Bula barrel but will read up on them. Maybe you could talk them into putting on an op-rod guide and then you could pretty much just put on parts. I paid $644 for a JRA receiver only in my hands at the 4-July sale.

garandeguy10
08-16-2014, 11:31
In the interest of common knowledge and fairness, I must point out that Smith Enterprises Inc. (SEI)has been known to sue individuals for criticizing their products and production methods, causing people to hire attorneys at considerable expense to fight their vexatious lawsuits.
They are also known for treating customers with disrespect. I have previously bought components from them, but after they sued someone for commenting on their heat treating, I refuse to do any more business with them. If you find SEI products on the used market, you may be better off than dealing with SEI directly.

BTW, it is my understanding that SEI lost that particular lawsuit, however, the defendant is still on the hook for his considerable attorney fee's.

Your call if you want to deal with SEI.

Mark in Rochester
08-18-2014, 09:59
There were no issues with the receiver I had

from AR15.com

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1539606__ARCHIVED_THREAD____SEI_s_lawsuit_against_ me___Updates_and_Court_Filings_Here.html&page=15

Originally Posted By Hammonje:
As related earlier the motion to dismiss was granted. Sanctions denied, but I realize they are a stretch in most cases.

I'm elated that the case was dismissed. Not necessarily over as Ron can sue me in GA as expressed earlier by FrankDrebin. I'm prepared and on my home turf. I am hoping to avoid any further litigation, but not much I can do at this point other than take the high road and bow out with humility making no attempts to inflame the situation.

My counsel, Dan DeSouza, has performed a dear service to me and my family. I would not have been able to mount as credible a defense without his skill and generosity. Dan is a true friend and one of us at the M14TFL where this all started. He approached me about wanting to help. His filings were concise, succinct and well-written. Dan provided constant advice and mental support. Thanks Dan for everything.

I would also like to thank my supporters and those contributing to my defense fund. This was a tough situation and acutely stressful in the very beginning. You helped keep my head on straight allowing me to continue with career and family duties. Thanks and please understand I am not out of the woods yet. Please keep my family in your prayers.

To all those commenting, whether positive or negative, thank you for voicing opinions and maintaining presence of this complaint. My only substantial resource is public opinion and the vast majority of individuals saw through the smoke and mirrors. Many took the opportunity to assault my character and theorize my reasoning and motivations. I can assure you it was not callous nor deliberate as many have suggested. I don't hold grudges and its nothing as far as I'm concerned. It's the past and that's where I'll leave it.

I will update those interested via this thread or start a new one if novel activity within GA courts is begun. Again thanks for your attention, input and advice. Much obliged everyone.

Sunray
08-18-2014, 12:38
"...All others produce some variation of the M14 rifle, for what it is worth...." Actually a copy of the M1A. An M-14, semi'd or not, is an MG according to the ATF.
"...not like the old Cast steel, that was prone to cracking...." Like your engine's block? Cast is not bad. Neither is MIM or any other modern production technique.

M1Riflenut
08-19-2014, 06:28
Just a note to the OP. The only producer of M1A rifles is Springfield Armory INC. It is their trademark. All others produce some variation of the M14 rifle, for what it is worth.

Same is true of the AR10 and Armalite, which is the only company that makes an AR10. All the other 7.62 rifles go buy some other designation despite everyone calling them AR10's, which technically they are not. But then what about the AR15? Colt is the only one that makes one.......... :)

albert
08-31-2014, 06:10
Check the m14 forum. Forged RockOla is the way to go.

nf1e
09-01-2014, 04:51
albert has it right. These Forged RockOla receivers # 040 and #041 M21 DMR followed me home from Camp Perry this year. Excellent product to work with. Along with Bula Forge bolts and NM med weight barrels, these critters are producing " repeatable" sub moa performance. Not bad for a 500. buck forged receiver. James River has added something to the M14 lineup that we can all be proud of.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0039_zpsdebae475.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0039_zpsdebae475.jpg.html)

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0036_zpse446481c.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0036_zpse446481c.jpg.html)

Semper Fi
Art