PDA

View Full Version : Top target ammo?

GaryO
08-13-2014, 10:59
I am returning to target shooting after a 30 year hiatus and was wondering if Tenex and R-50 still occupy the top of the heap? BTW: I paid about $5 per box back then. What say you?

Twinson
08-13-2014, 11:43
Don't think you will find it for $5 a box anymore...

da gimp
08-13-2014, 12:22
the best ammo is what you can find when you need it.......... Check with the major wholesalers MidwayUSA, Brownell's, Graf's, Natchez Shooting Supply etc. & see what they have in stock at what price........... I've had good luck with all these firms for many years... it's been a while since I bought anything from Natchez..... but it's only because MidwayUSA, & Graf's in Mexico Mo. are so very close to us............good luck to you sir.

Oyaji
08-13-2014, 05:44
Here's a link for several different brands of match rimfire ammunition; Eley Tenex, Lapua, Federal, etc. I've also heard good reports on the Russian Wolf brand. As you very well know, what shoots well in one firearm may not shoot well in a another. BTW Tenex is going for about 20 bucks a box of 50.

http://championshooters.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=185&Itemid=111

Hip's Ax
08-20-2014, 07:30
Eley is seen most these days followed by Lapua. You must lot test to find the lot that likes your rifle. Top shelf ammo has more than doubled in price in the last decade. Tenex is around $1800 a case and Midas is about $1500. RWS is rarely seen but it is around.

Matt Anthony
10-16-2014, 03:53
Every Sunday morning 2 groups of shooters get to the range at 6:30 AM to set up for our 9 AM shoot. We shoot rimfire at 100 yards using aspirin as targets. The 63 aspirin are glued to a backing and then colored red or black. It's a game that some have been playing for over 35 years. Everyone shoots in turn at the same pill until it's broken, then if someone hit's it, it's his win unless one shooter past him in turn tie's him! It's not complicated, you have to do it to understand it! The pills are worth 10 cents per shooter, a tie causes all shooters to add another dime, and the game begins again at the first shooter, so if there are 4 tie's, each shooter owes the winner .50 cents. I have seen pots go to $3.85 for just one series of one pill! If you have 10 shooters, you can calculate someone can win quite a bit of money. That is not common though, it's only happened four times in all those years. We can go through one or sometimes 3 sheets, it all depends on the wind!
Anyway, the ammo that is used is as follow:

Eley products starting at Target and ending with Tenex
SK Standard Plus and SK Match
Lapua Midas L and M plus CenterX
RWS 50
Wolf Target and Match Target
Norma TAC-22

There is a variety of brands, the cheaper brands are not as consistant as the expensive ones, but there are good lots and then there are great lots. It all depends what your rifle likes. Expensive ammo is only as good as the shooter.
For serious competition, Eley Tenex is still the #1 ammo! It is the Rolls Royce of Rimfire!
Matt

cnjcomp
10-17-2014, 08:01
As stated before, you must test ammo to see what your rifle likes best. Tennex, R-50 and Lapua rank at the top of the heap. You will find that you rifle might love a certain lot # of ammo, but will shoot like a shotgun with a different lot of the same ammo. In my twenty years of Coaching, the best ammo I ever found was Russian Olymp-R. Not available in the US since the 90's.

usmc69
10-18-2014, 02:31
Try Geco .22 l.r. RIFLE in your rifle. When I do my part it does this:http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n1/usmc690303/20020X1.jpg This is a five shot group at 50 yards from a bench with iron sights in a Winchester 52D.

aintright
11-16-2014, 01:05
usmc69 is right about the Geco , can be still had if you shop , for under 7.00 a box . The Tennex is gonna hit you for around 20 give or take .
Go to gunbot and shop for the Geco . For the Tenex go to Killoughs Shooting Sports , Dan is a really good guy and his prices are about as good as it gets for Eley .

El Paso Mark
11-18-2014, 02:39
Hope you guys are right about the Geco. Just ordered 12 boxes from Sportsmans Guide. Of course, at this point, ANY .22 ammo you can find is good ammo. Who makes Geco, what country does it come from?

Cheers,

Mark

gwp
11-18-2014, 08:20
Geco brand 22LR is made in Germany. RUAG Ammotec manufactures these brands GECO, RWS, Rottweil and Norma

El Paso Mark
11-20-2014, 11:08
Geco brand 22LR is made in Germany. RUAG Ammotec manufactures these brands GECO, RWS, Rottweil and Norma

Thanx.

Cheers,

Mark

aintright
11-20-2014, 08:20
I wouldn't say it is as good as the tenex , but itis some of the best shooting stuff I have seen for the price . In my CZ super exclusive , it shoots under .5" or tighter at fifty yds with a 20x scope . If I remember right , have shot some IR 50/50 targets that scored in the mid to high 230's and maybe a couple low 240 scores . The Tenex or a good lot of black box will usually stay in low to mid 240's with me at the wheel and my shooting ain't been the best in a while . Good luck , let us know how ya like it .

mp40man
11-30-2014, 04:22
I shot Bullyseye Competition back in the nineties. I was shooting a Smith & Wesson Model 41 and CCI Green Tag performed quite well. Stay safe and God bless. Rich