PDA

View Full Version : Grandsons Garand update

gunner312
08-11-2014, 08:22
OK heres the story,

My Grandson who is in HS ROTC Wants to learn to shoot the Garand.

I have a Garand Receiver and Trigger group which I will use to build him one.

I need everything else, Stock, handguards metal and Front and rear Sights and most of all a shootable barrel.

OK heres the update, I have thanks to you guys, a Barrel, a stock and handguard (walnut), an oprod some of the stock iron (for those of you who will read this it is an uncut rod and I'm not sure if I should use it or not. Might be better off with a restoration) (forend iron) i have a buttplate but no screws. I still need forend, sights, gas cyl and nut and plug and a bolt and bolt parts and the rest of the stock iron. Need sling swivels and stacking swivel. 1907? type Sling.

When it's done and I give it to my grandson, I'll take and post pictures.

He is a really good young man, he is a straight A student, wants to go to the Naval Academy and become a Marine fighter pilot. If he can't get an appointment to the Academy he will go to Texas A & M. He wants a degree in Arospace Engineering. Last year as he was doing his junior year of HS, he was also doing his first year at Texas A & M. This year he wil be a senior in HS and will also be a sophmore at A & M. He's a really smart young man. (don't know where he gets it, certainly not from me. I was a HS dropout and was a Marine Scout Observer (0846) in Vietnam at 18).

Help is appreciated. Thanks to you who have already helped.

I have no cash. However I do have a pretty complete machine shop. I have a degree in gunsmithing but no FFL. Therefore I can't do gunsmithing for recompense. However, I will do Machine work and trade for Garand parts and I'll do it at a fair trade value to be determined by discussion and mutual agreement.

So, any help out there?

Semper Fidelis,

Gunner312@q.com

billsm1
08-14-2014, 07:34
Hi
send me a complete list of what you still need and I will go through my parts box
Bill
PS: retired from PSNS in Bremerton, livedin Port Orchard for 26 years
billsm1g@att.net

JohnMOhio
08-14-2014, 09:33
Gunner, if you still want that 1907 sling, click on my avatar, you can e mail me direct with your address. I will dig one out for you that is in serviceable condition.

John

NuJudge
08-17-2014, 01:29
Tell us what you are still missing.

gunner312
08-17-2014, 06:50
Below is listed the parts I need. So far I've gone through my parts bins and haven't found any Garand
parts but found a bunch of old Springfield 03/A3 barrels that I forgot I had. I don't see that I will need them anytime soon so:

1903/1903A3 Barrels Will Trade for Garand Parts.

I was looking through my shop and found the following 1903 Barrels.

Will sell for 100 each plus shipping by FEDEX. Or will trade for Garand Parts of equal value.

TE/ME was checked with my TE and ME gauges I bought from Scott Duff.

1. Fed Ord import marked SA 10-? 1903 Barrel with rear sight base and front sight base. ME 3 TE 3
Not bad would clean up and with re-park look OK. Import marks are light and could be cleaned up if you wish.

2. Fed Ord Import Rem 4-13? (last digit not readable by my old eyes) With Rear Sight Base and Front Sight Base. As above, TE 1 ME 3.

3. No Import marks, SA 11-44 TE 1, ME .5 Nice bore.

4. No import marks, SA 8-44 As above TE 2, ME 0. Nice bore.

These all appear to have a coat of flat black on them that comes off easily. Don't remember if I did this or if I got them this way. It's been quite some time.

I need:

Rear sight Elevator Pinioin

Upper Sling swivel and screw.

ALso, as I have said before, I have a pretty complete Machine Shop and I have been a Job shop machinist for 25+ years. I will trade machining for Garand Parts.

gunner312
360-275-8550