PDA

View Full Version : Bayonet book

Bill
09-07-2009, 05:53
I recently came across a 3 volumn set of "Bayonets of the World" by Paul Kiesling.

Is this worth anything? It is for sale at a local auction, so need to know if it is worth buying.

John Sukey
09-07-2009, 10:26
Just an opinion for what little it's worth. If it's three volumes, I would assume the coverage is in depth.

All depends how much you want it and what you are willing to pay.:D

Bayonetman
09-08-2009, 03:04
Kiesling's set of books was for many years considered the best in the field, and I have seen some of the individual volumes sell for $100 or more. There were actually 4 volumes when the set was completed.

Recently the volumes have been combined into one single THICK book (over 600 pages) which has lowered the value of the previous set. The coverage however is excellent and if you can buy the set at about the price of the new volume you might want to do so.

Here is a description of the new work from Dixie Gun Works who sell it for $150.

"The complete edition by Paul Kiesling. The new, revised and complete edition of the standard work on the world’s bayonets, combining all original four volumes into one book. With detailed drawings and information on more than 1000 bayonets and scabbards, organized by country, and with indices on length and on markings and manufacturers. The most complete book on bayonets ever published. 8 1/2 X 11, 672 pages with over 1200 illustrations. Hardback w/ dust jacket."

Bill
09-08-2009, 03:56
Thanks for your reply. I am fairly sure only 3 volumes, 1, 2, and 3, were present.

I don't really collect bayonets, but will buy the books if price is reasonable.

Sunray
09-19-2009, 06:45
There's one, doesn't say if it's a set or just one book, on Amazon for $225.88 plus $3.99 shipping. Seller says it's like new.